PDA

View Full Version : Sick fish

Fish Newbie
02-29-2008, 05:29 PM
One of my fish is floating at the top and all his fins are picked off.
What is the easiest way to put him out of his misery?

cocoa_pleco
02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
put him in clove oil, then in vodka.

is it a large fish like a oscar or small?

if hes tropical, you could stick him in the freezer

Dixie
03-01-2008, 05:42 PM
The clove oil acts like a sedative and puts them to sleep then the vodka kills them while they are asleep. I don't know how many drops of clove oil per cup of water it is though. Supposedly enough clove oil will kill them too and you won't need the vodka. Of course you could drink the vodka to lessen YOUR pain.To be on the safe side, you can put them in the freezer after you put them to sleep with the clove oil.

fins_n_fur
03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
or, for a very quick death, dump the fish into boiling water. Freezing can be long and painful. I'd do the the oil of clove and vodka route.

Dixie
03-01-2008, 08:34 PM
yeah, when you put them in the freezer you knock them out with clove oil first and if you use enough they should already be dead. It's just to make sure. Boiling water would do the same thing but I'd still put them to sleep with clove oil first.

Dixie
03-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh, this too....from what I've read, the freezer thing should only be used on tropical fish. Thank goodness I haven't had to use ANY method though and if I did, I'd probably have to get hubby do it.

kkevvy
03-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Knife, in the brain. Easy, quick, more or less painless.

Don't freeze it. Thats slow, painful... Drop it in boiling water.

plow
03-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Knife, in the brain. Easy, quick, more or less painless.

Don't freeze it. Thats slow, painful... Drop it in boiling water.

agree with the knife theory but how do you know the freezer is painful?

Why not just leave them out of water? No oxygen is probably the best way to go, they just slowly go to sleep... become unconscious and thats the end..

I dont see the need for all the fancy methods.. lack of oxygen surely is as good as any method, I sure haven't seen any fish freaking out over it after 30 years of fishing.... they just pass out..

man i did that all the time when I was younger. lol..