PDA

View Full Version : cycling daily is wasting. Need to?

eileenlim4
10-06-2006, 12:58 AM
I cycle my fish water tank daily. I think that it consumes a huge amount of water and my bills are rising dramatically. Do I really have to clean it daily? Please advice.

NorthernBoy
10-06-2006, 01:33 AM
I am assuming that by "cycling" you mean changing water and no this should not be done daily. 1/3-1/2 the tank should be changed weekly.

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2006, 02:38 AM
Answer to that question can be debated as others have different opinions on this subject. If you are using throw-out fish and aren't concerned if they live or not (like feeder goldfish) then let the tank go. If you are concerned with fish living thru this process, and some will, then you need to do small water changes when the ammonia level gets over 1.0. But should not be necessary every day.

Keeping the temps up to about 80-82 and aerating the water will help the cycle go a bit faster. Do not clean the gravel or anything else in the tank nor change the filters. The ammonia level will soon drop and then nitrites will began to raise and you'll have to do the same small water changes......unless you have the throw- aways. Danio's are said to be good starter fish and can usually withstand a cycling.

I've actually read that opening the lid on the tank when ammonia is high helps reduce any fumes by allowing more outside air in but I haven't tried that one yet.

kimmers318
10-06-2006, 04:04 AM
What exactly do you mean by "cycling daily"? Are you replenishing ALL existing water with fresh water every day? That is the only thing that comes to mind when you say you are using huge amounts of water and your water bills are rising. If so, please stop...and tell us what size tank..what you have in it..and whether you have and use a water test kit and what the readings are.

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Good point Kimmers.

Severus
10-06-2006, 04:12 PM
I was assuming she meant water changes... if that is the case, NorthernBoy covered it.