PDA

View Full Version : Killi with pop eye

Lady Hobbs
10-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Noticed today my killi has one eye protruding. I've checked and there seems to be no known reason to get this and possibly uncureable. Do you think I should just treat him with fungual meds in the hope that may do it?

He's already moved to the hospital tank.

Lady Hobbs
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
It's pretty bad when now I am even replying to my OWN posts. :)

I have been treating pop eye for a week without a sign of improvement. This Killi nearly has his eye right out of his head. I treated for 4 days with fungal meds .....no improvement. I treated with aquarium salt for a week with no improvement. Lately have been using Epson salts with no improvement.

Today I removed him from the tank and actually rolled a q-tip around that eye hoping either the bubble would pop or at least some infection would come from it. Nothing. Tossed him back in his regular tank and nature will have to do what nature does, I guess.

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 01:29 PM
When I returned from FL, the Killie is gone! I believe he died and the loaches finished up the carcase. I also found a gourami with nothing but a skeleton left. Loaches sure do clean up their territory. Better than those FL buzzards!

gwenkat
10-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Sorry you lost him. I don't know much about pop eye.

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Just as well. I couldn't seem to cure it and don't know why he got it.

Juannie
10-25-2006, 11:30 PM
That is such a shame you lost the fish. I have a symspilum who got popeye, she scraped it against some slate in my tank and it blew up within a couple of hours, I was so terrified of losing her i put her into a quarantine tank with fungus drops, epsom salts. The one thing you have to do is water changes every single day so that it helps them to heal. Mine blew up so much and filled with blood that I thought I would lose her - this was over a week. I persevered and now luckily she is only blind in one eye and is thriving - all i need to do is find her a mate. The bad thing is she was in a tank with a placid oscar, large pleco and jaguar and now i can't put her back in because she gets picked on. Best of luck next time - if you ever get it again, ensure you quarantine the fish so it doesn't get attacked or re-injured and lots of water changes.