PDA

View Full Version : Crushed coral plants?

dolphinsrok
02-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Hello, any ideas on plants that can grow in crushed coral? Just filled up a new 35g tank with a 20watt light. I know the crushed coral raises ph. What types of plants will thrive in that environment? I like grass in one side of the tank and some taller plants and possibly moss too. Any thoughts?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Hornwort would love that stuff. I planted my hornwort in it and it thrived and grew like crazy. However when I put the Hornwort in soft water it didn't do anything. I think the big issue is not so much weather the plant will do well in it as a substrate, it's more an issue of the effect the crushed coral has on the water. Any plants that do not like hard water are going to suffer in such a substrate.

dolphinsrok
02-29-2008, 04:16 AM
So it's more a matter of finding a hard water somewhat high ph plant. I like the look of the hornwort, I'll look into that. I like grass or a mossy look on part of the tank, would having a piece of wood be better for things like moss and grass to grow on top of?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-29-2008, 04:34 AM
Great for moss, not great for grass. Java Moss is a very adaptable species, it will do well in hard water but will not likely be as brilliantly colored as it is in soft water. I've kept Java Moss in both and the hard water stuff was a dark drab green, however the stuff in soft water is a nice rich green.

Incredulous_Ed
02-29-2008, 04:49 AM
Hornwort and anacharis will do best in that tank. Java moss and fern might do okay.