PDA

View Full Version : ID please

Algenco
02-29-2008, 12:19 AM
The pic doesn't do justice. The fish is orange, orange spot on the fins too.

cocoa_pleco
02-29-2008, 12:43 AM
a baby zebra is my guess

Fishguy2727
02-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Definitely a peacock.

Adrian
02-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Don't know what it is, but it is very cool looking. If I could get another tank, I am thinking I would want a cichlid tank. Some of the species are really neat, and full of wonderous colors.

Nice looking fish!

Fishguy2727
02-29-2008, 01:26 AM
The natural species are very colorful, but fish like this one are why I like the hybrids too. They are healthy (peacock hybrids at least) and add more colorful options.

Algenco
02-29-2008, 01:30 AM
the lfs here had one a while back that was hot pink! I'm still kicking myself for not getting it

Fishguy2727
02-29-2008, 03:14 AM
I am amazed at some that we are getting in lately. Makes me want to sell mine and start a new batch.

Most of these are way too young to be showing these colors. They will have been hormone treated to bring out the mature colorations. This one time treatment is not harmful though.

angelcakes
02-29-2008, 08:11 AM
dont know,but it looks cute thumbs2:

RainMan
02-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Nice look'n peacock. I think my next tank will be dedicated to peacocks.

Dixie
02-29-2008, 04:57 PM
I agree, it's a peacock. Beautiful fish. Sometime I'd like to have a peacock tank too. I've got more wants than I have space for tanks though lol.

Nautilus291
02-29-2008, 05:00 PM
The reason hybids are bad is because it starts happening in the aquarium trade and then you dont have any of the wild types in the trade at all.

Fishguy2727
02-29-2008, 09:57 PM
There are enough people who like the wild types to keep them going. As long as we are not stupid and drain the wild populations they will be there. Wild types now have to come from the wild or parents of known wild origins. We are already at the point that if we don't KNOW it is wild type, it must be assumed hybrid.

Dixie
03-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Amen Fishguy. I got my mbunas out of the mixed african tank at the LFS and some from wal mart because that's all that's available locally. I then have to research them and find out what species they are going by their looks. They might be spot on looks wise but in my mind I have to assume they could be hybrids. Now there are purists that say I shouldn't distribute any fry I may get but I don't see the harm in trading them in back at the LFS I got the parents from and letting them be sold from the mixed africans tank. Do you?

Fishguy2727
03-02-2008, 02:22 AM
As long as they are hardy, healthy, and look good they are fine. It simply adds more options. It is hybrids that cause health problems (parrots for example) that are a problem. If it was an endangered species, then no, don't hybridize them. But considering how these fish can be arguably the same species I don't think it makes sense to say it is wrong to hybridize.

There are three ways to define a species. The first one is the typological species concept. This one is mainly morphological. With this method if it looks different, it is a different species. This is generally reserved for fossils. The second is the biological species concept. This one states that if they are not reproductively isolated (can't interbreed to produce fertile offspring) they are the same species. The last one is the phylogenetic species concept. This one is based on the phylogenetic tree. In this one DNA analysis determines which individuals/populations are most closely related and how closely they are related. For this one a 'good' species must include a common ancestor and all its descendants. I do not like this one because it is only based on the quantity of the differences, not the quality of those differences. It also ignores the beginning of speciation, as in it has to include all the descendants, but what if there is a population that is desacended from that group but is now a different species. It is hard to understand what I mean without seeing the trees. So in my opinion the best one is the biological species concept. so if they can produce fertile offspring, they are the same species. Obviously none are perfect, but out of the three just taught in my Evolution class, that is the one that I think is the best.

Algenco
03-02-2008, 03:11 AM
I like purebreds fish,dogs, whatever, The fish I purchased is a peacock, most likely a cross between two variants but it's still a peacock.. If he turns out as beautiful as it seems he will I may pick up a few females and attempt to breed an "Electric orange peacock". I better go copyright the name now.:hmm3grin2orange:

Fishguy2727
03-02-2008, 03:33 AM
Pure breeds and pure species are different things. All dogs are (arguably) the same species, just different breeds. With peacocks generally classified as different species it is a different subject. I think I have an electric orange peacock:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/orangepeacock.jpg

Algenco
03-02-2008, 04:15 AM
That's him!! Mine looks just like that, not as bright but that's it!!