PDA

View Full Version : Can sting-rays over eat?

Tooch
02-28-2008, 06:04 PM
After doing research, I've learned that the only reason Retic Rays get such a bad rap for being difficult rays to keep is simply the care they've been given during transport. They come from a very long distance with no food, so they are typically half starved by the time you buy them.

Everything I've read says "feed feed feed" when you first get them, to fatten them up. From what I've heard, a normal ray should volunteerally eat every 11 minutes. The have little stomach's and high metabolism. So that's what I'm doing. I have the tank stocked with ghost shrimp as often as possible. The lfs has been out over the last week, so I was feeding him bloodworms 3 times a day, which he ate up.

The lfs finally got some in, so I put 3 dozen in the tank yesterday. When I checked later, he had to have eaten at least 1/2 of them. He seems nice and full. Now here's my question. Can a ray over-eat? I'm not talking water quality. I change about 20% every other day. I mean health wise, can he eat too much and die? I didn't think so, but after watching his feasting yesterday, I thought I better check.

I found the books by Dr. Ross you suggested Dave, and they are on order from Amazon.

angelcakes
02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
i dont anything about stingrays,but maybe its like humans if youve eaten to the full you dont want to eat anymore,but hes eating which is the main thing,plus hes stomach may have shrunk from the journey and needs building back up,just take out what he dont eat,or you could try little and often with food,this a solution that might help but like i say i dont know anything about rays except they are really nice looking,can i see some pics?thumbs2:

Fishguy2727
02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Not really. They should know their limitations.

You may want to increase water changes. I would suggest doing more at a time if you know the water matches what is already in the tank. Otherwise I would do it every day.

Have you tried other foods? One way to get them on other foods is to use a bowl. There is a whole article on bowl feeding in my blog. There is not necessarily an every x minutes or x times a day set in stone. There are a lot of variables when it comes to feeding. You may also want to try New Life Spectrum. They will eat it and it will be the most nutritious thing you could feed.

Tank size?
Tankmates?
Nitrate concentration?

Tooch
02-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Not really. They should know their limitations.

You may want to increase water changes. I would suggest doing more at a time if you know the water matches what is already in the tank. Otherwise I would do it every day.

Have you tried other foods? One way to get them on other foods is to use a bowl. There is a whole article on bowl feeding in my blog. There is not necessarily an every x minutes or x times a day set in stone. There are a lot of variables when it comes to feeding. You may also want to try New Life Spectrum. They will eat it and it will be the most nutritious thing you could feed.

Tank size?
Tankmates?
Nitrate concentration?

Thanks! I'll read up on it a little later today after work

Tank is a 30g. When he is big enough, he is going in the 300g. His tank makes are 3 Neons, 5 Cardinals and a Garra Panda.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 10ppm

Fishguy2727
02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
He has not eaten any of the tetras?
Garra panda, the loach?

Did you have one a little while ago that died, or was that another user?

Sounds good. I would still upgrade the water change schedule and try the bowl feeding. That will help get him on a more complete diet, hopefully ending up with NLS. Check out their site. In their video they show some rays going for it.

Tooch
02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I am the one who had a ray die, unfortunatly :scry: The Panda is way too fast for him, but thus far he hasn't gone after any of the neons. Hes very happy just chasing around the shrimp, swimming around the bottom, and burying himself thumbs2:

Fishguy2727
02-28-2008, 10:32 PM
When they are happy, comfortably, and settled in they won't bury, so hopefully soon that will become rare. Sounds good. good luck with this one.