PDA

View Full Version : Java moss wall

BillyVille
02-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Anyone constructed a java moss wall? could you share pics? Im thinking of doing it. And will the java moss live ok without using the co2 or whatever Thanks

cocoa_pleco
02-28-2008, 05:48 PM
yep, the moss doesnt need Co2 or ferts. you just need a grid for it to grow on, tie the moss to the grid, and let it grow

Adrian
02-28-2008, 05:52 PM
I love java moss! Works great with fry, and gives good cover for smaller fish, and shrimp.

Bad thing with java moss, if you are running any type of impeller system for filtration, little strands of the stuff get sucked up the intake and into the impeller. Sometimes it makes it to the filter material, other times it winds up being wound around the impeller shaft. If enough gets around the shaft, it will slow the impeller and possibly upset your filtration.

Just a thought.

karbomb
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
if you make a java moss wall, i want to see images of it.

BillyVille
02-28-2008, 06:16 PM
well mines going to be a different background, a mixture of rocks and java moss, should look killer! i also have driftwood that is screwed to a rock, and i want java moss on that rock. would a hairnet be best for this?

karbomb
02-28-2008, 06:22 PM
well mines going to be a different background, a mixture of rocks and java moss, should look killer! i also have driftwood that is screwed to a rock, and i want java moss on that rock. would a hairnet be best for this?
yes a hairnet is ideal

hpt84
02-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Please post picture when you get it done.

BillyVille
02-28-2008, 06:33 PM
I will be sure to post pics!

BillyVille
02-28-2008, 06:39 PM
how much is java moss?

Algenco
02-28-2008, 06:40 PM
I make them by sewing strands about 1/2" apart onto needlepoint sheets.
Just don't let them go too long before trimming, my best one got too long and the base died, it came loose from the grid.
I'm getting ready to make another with fissidens:thumb:

BillyVille
02-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I make them by sewing strands about 1/2" apart onto needlepoint sheets.:thumb:

Im not sure i know what your taking about? and when would be best to trim them and how do i go about that? whats the best moss to use for rocks? and what about a wall?

Algenco
02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Any moss will work, java attach's best.

To trim I usually take it out and use scissors to trim, leave about 1/2"

Here is an overgrown moss wall in my shrimp jungle, needs trimming badly.

karbomb
02-28-2008, 07:04 PM
how much is java moss?
PM algenco if he has any left. i ordered some from him and it is in tip top shape. he has good prices too.

karbomb
02-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Any moss will work, java attach's best.

To trim I usually take it out and use scissors to trim, leave about 1/2"

Here is an overgrown moss wall in my shrimp jungle, needs trimming badly.

that looks beautiful though. even though it's all grown out. makes me want to have a java moss only tank...

BillyVille
02-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Is there a way to trim it in tank? because im making a wall for my background and wont be able to take it out

Algenco
02-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Is there a way to trim it in tank? because im making a wall for my background and wont be able to take it out

Sure you can use scissors it will be a pain getting all the pieces out

I have tons of Java moss:hmm3grin2orange:

BillyVille
03-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Just to keep you updated... I jsut finished up all my carving and for my styrofoam rock background with java moss!! And I also made a few other things that I thought was cool. Lol this is just a teaser, but when I get home from work I will post pics! I hope to hear alot of feedback!