PDA

View Full Version : Albino Barbs

Litespeed
02-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Yesterday we went to Petsmart and picked up a couple of Albino Barbs to go with our Tiger Barbs. Now that my husband has discovered that Barbs can come in some very pretty colors, he is willing to have a nice size group. We have them in our Q tank and they will remain there for about two weeks. We will pick up another green barb today to put in there also. Can't wait to see them all together, it should make a very colorful display.

jbeining75
02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Good luck with the barbs. It sounds like you got a great tank going there. Post some pics if you can. I'm excited to see them...lol..

Litespeed
02-28-2008, 09:26 PM
I will try to get some pictures but as you know fish don't "sit & stay" very well. LOL

Litespeed
03-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Finally got a half way decent picture of the Albino Barb

Albino Barb (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Litespeed/DSC02207.jpg)

And here is a picture of the Green Barb

Green Barb (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Litespeed/GreenBarb.jpg)

In a couple of weeks we will put them all together and we should have a very colorful group.

Nautilus291
03-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Just to let you know albino barbs usually dont school with the regular or green tiger barbs the stay in a seperate group. But it sounds like a great tank I always loved tiger barbs!!

cocoa_pleco
03-02-2008, 12:17 AM
i dont think the one is a albino, albinos have red eyes

Litespeed
03-02-2008, 04:32 AM
They were listed as Albino's at Petsmart and we saw the same ones at our local fish store and they had them labeled the same way. You can definitely see the stripes. What kind do you think they are?

This is what I found on the internet regarding them.
Being the same as the Tiger Barb in most ways, the Albino Tiger Barb is also very lively and playful!
The Albino Tiger Barb is one of the color morphs or varieties of the regular Tiger Barb. The biggest difference from that of their parentage is that the Albino Tiger Barb does not always have gill covers. Their aquarium requirements, behaviors, care and feeding are the same as their parentage. Like all of their cousins they do best kept in a group of 6 or more, and they are lively and active so need plenty of room to swim. They are hardy and a great fish for beginners, though they can be nippy with their tank mates..

These fish were received with mixed reactions when first introduced in the aquarium hobby, which largely seemed to relate to a matter of taste. Some folks fell in love with these little pretties, while others were indifferent. Consequently, they are less poplar than the regular Tiger Barb, but are still readily available.

For a very attractive effect in your aquarium try adding some pretty Albino Tiger Barbs to a school of regular Tiger Barbs. They provide a nice contrast of swift moving, darting color! Mixing even more varieties works equally well and creates a really exciting effect. Some of these include the Longfin Tiger Barb, and the Green ('moss') Tiger Barb.

Though when mature, their colors do tend to fade a bit, a school of these playful and attractive fish in a nice sized aquarium makes an awesome display!

These active fast swimming fish need company. These barbs do best in a school of at least six or seven fishes where they establish a "pecking order". They have been known to nip the fins of slower moving and long-finned fish such as gouramis and angelfish, but this problem seems to be demonstrated when they are being kept individually or in a smaller group. Presumably in a larger school they are too busy chasing each other to bother with their other tank mates.

houie925
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
they're amelanistic, lacking dark pigment. in this mutation areas that normally would have dark pigment will lack any pigment and will be the base color of the animal

houie925
05-20-2008, 02:34 PM
also I have 3 normal, 3 green, and 3 amels and they all school together. Don't know why but the amels and greens are a lot heavier bodied than the normals, maybe a side effect of the selective breeding process