PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to slow breeding?

FishinJoburg
02-28-2008, 10:44 AM
My bubble mollies are breeding like crazy- at leats two (judging by the colour of the fry) of the adult females are giving birth regularly and my tank is getting very over crowded. My friends can take no more and I am reluctant to just flush the excess away. So, is thee any natural way to reduce the pace of breeding. Alternatively- what is a good predatory species to introduce to a community tank that would only go for the fry and leave the adults alone- this my kids could live with. Dad flushing the babies away would be unforgiveable. What can Is ay- my kids (little boys) don't mind natural selection by predators, they'd probably want to see the humt, but they do mind selection via dad! :hmm3grin2orange:

AquaBANG
02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
my 20G has livebearers, but the population is under control I guess because it also stocks barbs and tetras, these a fast fish which cleanup all fry from the livebearers. I guess this could be an option you could try out.

not sure about predatory fish, coz your adult mollies will soon become food for these predators.

Kaga's Kritters
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
get rid of all the males or all the females. if you only keep one sex then you dont have breeding.

travie
02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Getting another tank can be an option. I got another tank to separate my male and female guppies.

Enreche
02-29-2008, 09:18 PM
how big is the tank they are in?

cocoa_pleco
02-29-2008, 11:06 PM
yeah, in a 15g you cant have too many fry, just have only females

jbeining75
02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
slow down mollies............. seperate them.... they spawn like crazy.....

Nautilus291
03-01-2008, 12:09 AM
When they said preditory fish i think they meant preditory for the fry not a preditory fish that would attack the mollies. If you find a way to slow down livebearers from breeding other then seperating them then let us all know because its pretty much impossible.

Enreche
03-01-2008, 03:52 AM
if you need a small pred., try mabye a peacock eel, or african dwarf frogs.

most fish would eat the babys, so keep in mind something that wouldent grow out the tank, and something with a larger mouth:thumb: