PDA

View Full Version : New

goomer416
10-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Hi im new to the site and new to this hobby as well... well I have had a few fish tanks but this is my biggest.. I am jsut looking for some suggestions to decorating my tank... I have a 48 Gal tank... right now i only have a lil 24" light on it but im looking to getting a real light for it and what not.. the onyl fish i have int eh tank as of right now is my Oscar.. because he is really aggressive and kills everything else i put in the tank... including a huge plucko *sp that was about 14" long... heres what i have so far

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/Goomer/fishtank1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/Goomer/fishtank2.jpg

Lady Hobbs
10-05-2006, 02:34 AM
May come down to him having that aquarium all to himself. Others here more familiar with Oscars will jump in and tell you their thoughts. I've never had one.

I hope you plan to keep that blind closed since I see your tank is infront of a window?

I haven't seen you post in the introduction thread so will welcome you here. Welcome to AC Community forum. Great place to hang.

Severus
10-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Welcome to AC. Very nice oscar too, that 48 gallon can only hold your oscar. You should not put anything else is there.

goomer416
10-05-2006, 02:36 AM
this is my first time doing a forum kinda thing so i appologise for the miss post.. but thanks :)

but why would i have to keep the blinds down?

Severus
10-05-2006, 02:38 AM
You will learn a lot of info here, is this your first oscar?

goomer416
10-05-2006, 02:51 AM
yes this is my first fish of the kind... i have had a bunch of lil fish... but nothing like this... however i have had him for about a year now... but im jsut getting into this as an actually hobby

Severus
10-05-2006, 02:59 AM
he looks great. Congratulations and good luck with him

NorthernBoy
10-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Hobbs said to keep the blinds down to prevent to much temperature change and also to slow algae growth. BTW welcome to AC.

For starters I would buy proper lighting. Eventually the oscar may jump and hit that light knocking it in the tank. And then TSSSST! no more oscar!

kimmers318
10-05-2006, 06:09 AM
Welcome to AC...beautiful oscar you have there! Don't worry too much about decor for oscars unless you plan on it being a plaything. As soon as hubby gets done cleaning the tank and righting stuff they go around knocking things over! If they can't knock over the airstone decoration they will swim behind the airline until they can pull it enough to do it for them. If you wish to have anything stick with stuff too big for them to move around.

goomer416
10-05-2006, 10:53 AM
wow thanks for the info both of you... and yes im getting some good lighting as soon as i get paid, thanks for the help :)

Lady Hobbs
10-05-2006, 02:17 PM
You may want to get rid of the castles in the aquarium since he isn't using them to hide in anyway. Give him a bit more swimming room. Perhaps he'd like something to hide behind, as well. Maybe some plastic plants and a piece of driftwood? He'll probably tear the plants up anyway but it will give him something to do....or get him some floating plants in the aquarium. Make it a bit more into nature for him to feel at home in. He really is lovely.

And definately you want to have that light bulb covered up and Northern Boy said. He will jump out one day for sure.

Severus
10-06-2006, 02:47 AM
My oscar isnt bothered by plastic plants. It could be because he has been in his tank since he was 2", but you should def. try it with your guy

goomer416
10-11-2006, 12:06 AM
hahah ya i am trying a bunch of diff stuff... ps. see my updated tank in the oscar section