PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Dwarf Gouramis

Blue Ram
02-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I've been considering getting me a pair of dwarf gouramis and breeding them before I breed rams. Rams I've learned are not an ideal fish for first time fish breeders to breed. So any helpful hints/tips on breeding dwarf gouramis is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Patriot

Adrian
02-27-2008, 07:46 PM
As Doug Z has asked. I will shed with you too. Dwarf gourami's have very weak immune systems. If there is a disease in the tank, the dwarf will come down with it. If the water is clean, I mean really really clean, they will do fine. Temps should be around 80 degrees to promote spawning. Water level needs to be lowered as well, as they are bubblenesters. Also, you must supply some kind of floating plants so the dwarf can use them for nesting material.

Once the female has spawned, or lain her eggs, you must get her out of the tank, or he will kill her. For some reason, He doesn't know she is done, and continues to squeeze her for more eggs, causing internal injuries and death.

Don't be surprised if the male eats the eggs the first few times. And his nest building can be pretty pathetic the first few goes at it. Just perservere, and in the end, you should have success.

Blue Ram
02-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Any suggest fry foods?

and

Does the male need to be removed once the fry have hatched?

Adrian
02-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Any suggest fry foods?

and

Does the male need to be removed once the fry have hatched?

BBS will work for feeding them, and I would move the fry to another tank, or move the male out. As he may eat them.

Blue Ram
02-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Ok thanks!

Algenco
02-28-2008, 01:39 AM
actually the will have to be at least 2 weeks old before they can handle bbs, they will need infusoria then micro worms

Pr0eve
02-28-2008, 02:49 AM
HERE IS SOME MORE READING opp damn caps..

Pr0eve
02-28-2008, 02:50 AM
opp I meant this one..