PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium backgrounds

ozone ranger
02-27-2008, 02:05 PM
I've been researching a lot into creating my own background for my cichlid tank recently and found one really cool site involving cement layered on top of styrofoam instead of casting a solid peice. I was thinking about experimenting with this idea and then discoved a fiberglass 3d background on ebay. Since I play around with fiberglass more than cement at work I thought this might be worth trying!

Are there any risks with creating a fiberglass 3d background and curing processes etc? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

angelcakes
02-27-2008, 03:57 PM
i dont think there would be a problem,its looks nice to use,if you use fibreglass, shop about a bit as there are a lot of good designs,thumbs2:

jbeining75
02-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I'd just sift the fiberglass mix to make sure all the big pieces are out. You can use a window screen.... I am doing a styrofoam and cement one right now. I will paint it then coat it in clear epoxy resin.... Good luck with your DIY background....

Jay

ozone ranger
02-27-2008, 05:56 PM
could I add the cement color dye to the fiberglass mix to give it a rock coloration or can you recommend a good paint to use?

jbeining75
02-27-2008, 08:00 PM
You can just add coloring to the mixture instead of painting. I am doing a tree so there is alot of different colors so I just chose to hand paint it......