PDA

View Full Version : Just a few photos

jhill54
02-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Was bored last night so I took a few pics of some of my discus.

A Friend in fish
John

jhill54
02-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Here is couple more. Hope you like.

A Friend in fish
John

Adrian
02-27-2008, 11:21 AM
I love discus! Those are some nice fish. Wish I could keep them, but I don't have the resources to do so.

sailor
02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Great pics and fish, thanks for sharing:thumb:

angelcakes
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
great looking fish and nice job on the pictures,thumbs2: thumbs2:

Halelorf
02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
amazing looking fish! :thumb:

jbeining75
02-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Great fish... Great pics...... No decor or gravel though??? Redocorating??

hockeyref88
02-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Great pic's. I Looooooove discus!!thumbs2:

jhill54
02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Great fish... Great pics...... No decor or gravel though??? Redocorating??
No I am growing discus out and a bare bottom tank is much easier to clean and do water changes. I plan on setting up a large tank and try my luck at live plants and pick the best looking discus to put in it. When raising discus from juvies you want to feed 5 to 6 times a day. Frozen blood worms, colorbits and beefheart. You want to grow them to the best of their ability. I know it is kinda boring but makes my life easier.

Thank you all for the kind words.

A Friend in fish
John

smaug
02-27-2008, 09:34 PM
very,very nice fish!Thanks.

Incredulous_Ed
02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
AWESOME! i dont think ive seen discus that nice before. What do you fee dthem?

supun
02-28-2008, 03:14 AM
Phil, very nice pics of your fish..:ezpi_wink1: thnks for sharing. Approximately how old are they? Yes, I see you dont have any plants, wood or gravel, and I understand it would be easier to clean.

Guys, I was looking to do the same, as cleaning is easier..do discus require things to hide, ie plants, wood etc, or do they do fine without anything else in the tank. Thoughts?

digital3
02-28-2008, 04:06 AM
Very nice!!! I love Discus! And those look great!

Incredulous_Ed
02-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Phil, very nice pics of your fish..:ezpi_wink1: thnks for sharing. Approximately how old are they? Yes, I see you dont have any plants, wood or gravel, and I understand it would be easier to clean.

Guys, I was looking to do the same, as cleaning is easier..do discus require things to hide, ie plants, wood etc, or do they do fine without anything else in the tank. Thoughts?
Discus would do better with some hiding places, as a form of security.

jhill54
02-28-2008, 11:26 PM

Thanks Supun,
They are around a year old now.
I have tried raising discus with plants and such and all they want to do is hide. If they have a place to hide they will. If they do not have a place to hide they will get used to you faster IMHO. After they are grown out and you don't have to feed them as mush then you can set up a planted tank for them. Now this is just my opinion.

But as for raising discus to their full potential and not having them get stunted a bare bottom is best. Another batch that I am raising now are really shy and will not buddy up with me at all since they had a place to hide. I since removed the decorations and they are still a bit scared and hide behind the sponge filters but are slowly coming out more when I am in the room. But still when I walk in they run and hide. Hopefully they will come around. They are around four inches.

This batch of discus (in the pics) were raised and still being raised in a bare bottom tank with two sponge filters in it and they do not try to hide at all. When I come into the room they all come to the front of the tank looking for a treat. When I sit and watch them they sit and watch me. Now this is what I want my discus to do not run and hide.

The new batch is the opposite, when I come into the room they all hide behind the sponge filters. If they don't come around in the next few weeks I will pull the sponge filters out one at a time or hang them on the sides and see if this helps, no place to hide. I hope when they get close to adult size they will not be so shy. If not I will get rid of them and start over :) Their are six in this batch and not just one hides but they all do.

A Friend in fish
John

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Great looking fish jhill. Love the colors.

supun
02-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Hi JHill,

Thanks for this info. At the moment, I have plants, wood, gravel, and all 11 of my discus swim fast and hide behind a gigantic piece of driftwood I have in the corner. They only come to the front of the tank, late at night, say 10:00pm, but they sometimes get scared and quickly run behind the wood.

If removing the piece of wood would help them be more friendly, I will give it a try. Thanks JHill:thumb:

jhill54
02-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Great looking fish jhill. Love the colors.

Thanks so much for the kind words. I love the 125g discus tank you have in your gallery!! I am still dreaming right now ;)

Thanks Incredulous_Ed, I feed them beefheart, bloodworms, colorbits, and flake food.

Thank you digital3 and smaug much appreciated.

A Friend in fish
John

snipers_den
02-29-2008, 11:54 PM
great pics...what breed of Discus are they ???...Marlboro reds ???...

Demi ^_^
03-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Beautiful!!! When I'm old enough to buy my own house (Not until ages for now though, lol) My dream tank is going to be a huge gourgeous Discus tank, with maybe some peaceful fish, such as tetras or something *Day dreams about tank* <3

Enreche
03-03-2008, 06:19 AM
i actually like how the discus look without gravel and decor, ect.

it really makes them the center of attention.

really nice fish!:19:

Enreche

Enreche

fins_n_fur
03-03-2008, 06:28 AM
Wow, triple post LOL

Beautiful discus! WOW! Just when I had calmed down a bit about getting a 100G discus tank, I see these pictures! They are beautiful!

supun
03-04-2008, 03:18 AM
No I am growing discus out and a bare bottom tank is much easier to clean and do water changes. I plan on setting up a large tank and try my luck at live plants and pick the best looking discus to put in it. When raising discus from juvies you want to feed 5 to 6 times a day. Frozen blood worms, colorbits and beefheart. You want to grow them to the best of their ability. I know it is kinda boring but makes my life easier.

Thank you all for the kind words.

A Friend in fish
John
Hi Jhill,
I was just wondering, do you handfeed your discus food 6 times a day? Are you at home with you discuses throughout the day? How do you do this? With an automatic feeder? I am away from home for about 12 hours, so am unable to feed them 6 times a day..

siymdapolio
03-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Love th discus beautifull colors :c12:

I love them Discus :D

jhill54
03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks Greg and Alex for the kind words.

Supun,
I feed bloodworms in the morning before I leave for work and then I have an auto feeder that feeds them colorbits a couple times before I get home then I will feed some shrimp and bw till I go to bed. The adults get fed in the morning and once at night.

A Friend in fish
John

Kayla-Bug
04-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful fish! They are so gorgeous! I wish I could get some, but I don't have the money for a really large tank!!!

SkinnyChicken
04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Great looking fish - they are the reason I even walked into a fish shop in the first place. Great Job :)

country_boy454
04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow beautiful discus!

Lady Hobbs
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
They are just lovely. I see you keep a bare bottom tank. Why not add some potted plants so they have some hiding spaces?

sandy_n
04-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Absolutely stunning! :c3:

wilsonyoc1
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
:1luvu:
i love your fish
thumbs2:

kathyshovel
12-26-2008, 12:12 PM
:ssmile: i think your discus pic are lovely thanks for sharing them i enjoyed

cer
12-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Those are some of the best discus I have ever seen!

Brookfish
12-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Those are quality Discus you have there John, some very nice pics to.
I have a mate that breeds Discus and like you he grows them on in a
bare bttm aquarium, like you said with all the feeding that juvies
require it makes things so much easier.
I have to say that a planted tank with mature Discus is one of the
nicest things in the hobby to.