PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium as Sump, but with Fish and Plants

travie
02-27-2008, 05:11 AM
I keep getting ideas about setting up a sump system for my 29g with another tank underneath it. My 29g is currently on a stand that can hold another tank underneath. I would put another tank underneath with layer of gravel then allow java moss to do its thing. Then obviously, I would siphon the water from the main aquarium down to the sump aquarium. I would probably siphon it down to the sump with just a hose with something that would allow water to go through but not the fish. I'm not sure the best way to get the water from the sump tank to the main tank. I would need and want it to be very cheap and inexpensive, DIY is my best option for this.

Anybody know of a way I could do this without spending a lot of money? I guess, technically, all I would need to run on the sump aquarium would be light for java moss/fish, heater, and maybe a cheap pump to run water up to main tank.

Advice is greatly wanted and appreciated.

Dave66
02-27-2008, 07:06 AM
travie,
Having a sump under any tank is a very good thing, as it increases the total water volume of the system. It also can provide natural filtration and is a great place to hide equipment, like heaters and filters. If you had your planted sump on reverse daylight, your pH and O2 levels would stay stable to the benefit of your fish.
If you simply google 'aquarium plumbing' you'll see the diagrams how to plumb a sump inline that'll prevent overflows. It ain't rocket science; you'll need a way to get the water from the main tank (via siphon overflow) and get the water back into the main tank once process (with a mag drive pump). I can suggest a couple books if you want for the how to.

Dave

hpt84
02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
You are going to need an overflow box. If your pump stop working or a power outage happen, your sump wont overflow because the water level of the tank n overflow box will be the same.

travie
02-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I've figured out how to deal with the overflow if the power goes out. I will let you know how it goes, and how getting my parents to agree to it goes. Also, any ideas on fish that would look good the sump tank that I plan to have java moss overrun. I want to stay away from schooling fish, because that would ruin the whole idea of a sump tank. Dave, I will let you know if the books will be needed. Thank you.

Edit: What would be the best way to calculate the GPH I will need the pump to be?

Tooch
02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
To figure out the GPH, you'll want something that will turn over your tank 10x an hour, or as close to it as you can. For instance, if you had a 100g tank, you'd want a 1000gph pump. That may sound like alot, but I think the smallest mag drive pump my lfs has was a 1000gph one. I know you can get them smaller though pretty easily. That was just the one store.

travie
02-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Do I need to figure gravity into the equation, since it will be pumping water up?

Tooch
02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't believe so. Gravety shouldn't have too much effect on the pump. It'll only be pumping it a couple feet at most, right?

travie
02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Right. I just need to get a pump, tubing, and another heater. If I lived at home during the week, I could remember all the stuff that I already have. Now the hard part, getting my parents to agree to letting me do this.

travie
02-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Will I really need to get a pump rated for 10x my tank, because I have an Aquaclear 70 already on my 29g.

Edit: I can't afford to spend $60 on a water pump right. Any cheaper ways I could go about getting water up to my 29g?