PDA

View Full Version : Peat in the filter media....

SpyderSpy6
02-26-2008, 04:05 AM
I am curious about trying a peat pouch in my filter for my discus tank. Do these last long and is it a good alternative to softening water versus a water softner pillow? Will the pouch harm my plants in any way? How dark will it turn the color of my water? If anyone has used this before I am interested to know how your fish responded to it before using, and after, and also what your recommendations are. Thanks!

sailor
02-26-2008, 04:08 AM
I don't know how long the peat last but I did find that the water softening pillow was a pain in the butt. Continuously having to recharge it. I went with a water softener for the water system instead.

SpyderSpy6
02-26-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't really have the option of water softner for the place just because I still rent. I will be looking to purchase a RO/DI filter once I have some extra cash.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

sailor
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Check with your landlord. Sometimes they will let you get items like a water softener etc be installed and deduct what you pay for the rental of the unit from your rent. If you water is really hard you will be going through many filters on your RO unit with out a water softener in place.

Fishguy2727
02-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Water softeners exchange one calcium or magnesium for two sodiums, actually raising the total dissolved solids, which is more important to the fish.

Incredulous_Ed
02-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Those water softener pillows basically add salt. Not good. I guess the peat wears out when the pH starts going back up.

Fishalicious
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Depending on your KH the peat can last 1 month to 6 months - the higher the KH the quicker you need to replace it. You can only discover this by often checking the parameters the first few times to know how long it works for in your tank.