PDA

View Full Version : Snail Identification Question

fins_n_fur
02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
While I'm waiting for my tank to cycle, I've noticed I have about 10 small snails in my tank...apparently they don't mind the high level of nitrates. They are kind of small for a decent picture with my photography skills and camera, but their shells look to be black and yellow. I assumed they hitchhiked on my plants as I didn't buy them. Also, I see a lot of little brown dots/drops on some of my plants...are these snail eggs or poo? The drops fall off easily enough when I move the plant leaves. The don't seem to be eating the plants, and spend most of their time on the driftwood or on the tank glass. Any thoughts or a place to go look at for pictures?

toddnbecka
02-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Google freshwater snails and check the images?

fins_n_fur
02-26-2008, 06:50 AM
I tried google, but not that way...it's worth a shot! Thanks!

karbomb
02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
are there shells black and yellow, like striped? or are some black and some yellow? do they have long cone shaped shells? very evident spiral shells, circular with very evident begging and end? or just round shells?
google malaysian trumpet snail, ramshorn snail, mystery snail, and pond snail. let us know what it most resembles.

mitcore
02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
they might be mystery snails see my fry thread for a pic of what they look like small
it is in this sect

fins_n_fur
02-26-2008, 07:11 AM
@mitcore - Thanks, but the picture is too small for me this early in the morning LOL

@karbomb - I'll have to take one out of the tank, but they don't appear to be striped, just yellow bits on the black, unless they will look like stripes as their shells get bigger. I have done some checking on photos, but will do more when I'm at the office and more awake. I think the shell is just round.

They seem to like hanging out on the driftwood where I appear to have diatoms (new tank and still cycling) and like pooing on my plant leaves.

mitcore
02-28-2008, 05:44 AM
no worries
when you wake up a bit check it out it might be your snails
mystery snail dont always come in yellow i currently have balck ones as well and they have laid 2 big batches of eggs LOL
so many snails what to do

fins_n_fur
02-28-2008, 05:59 AM
I have looked at lots of pictures of snails on the web, and none seem to match mine, so either they are still two small for the shells to be identifiable or I have mutants in my tank LOL. I'll try to photograph one on the weekend when I have more time and post up.

Just saw one up close: Shells appears to conical, and have a translucent yellow gold colour networked over with black lines (almost like a honeycomb) with light grey bodies. Thoughts?

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 06:47 AM
You probably have one of the normal stow-away snails...pond snails (i hope not) or malaysian trumpet snails (which wouldnt be bad).

I dont really think that they could be mystery or any other type of apple snail because usually people realize they have them when they sell plants or anything and they grow quite large.

Where did you get your tank? Have you added any new plants or rocks from another tank?

OOO Another idea!! You probably have malaysian trumpet snails...they hitch-hiked from somewhere or if you have had this tank a while you probably always had them just never knew! The high levels of nitrates probably are making them surface for air since there is less oxygen in the water....Malaysian Trumpet snails are only seen if you have poor water quality or late at night with a flashlight.

Hope i have helped!

fins_n_fur
02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
It's a new planted tank (just about a month old). They don't seem to mind the high nitrites and they are out all the time...I'm pretty sure that they hitchhiked on the plants. Good news is that the nitrites are almost down to zero which means my tank has nearly cycled. I will look for pictures of Malaysian trumpet snails again and re-compare. Thanks very much for your thoughts! :19:

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Ya im guessing they are trumpet snails, though im not sure why you would be seeing them...everything i have read says that people have them and never even know, since you have to wait till late at night to see them or they only come out when water quality is bad.

HMMMM...i sure hope you have good snails and not bad snails!

Fishalicious
02-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Have a looksie here
http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com/2007/08/snails-in-aqua-theyre-free.html

XXX

karbomb
02-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Ya im guessing they are trumpet snails, though im not sure why you would be seeing them...everything i have read says that people have them and never even know, since you have to wait till late at night to see them or they only come out when water quality is bad.

HMMMM...i sure hope you have good snails and not bad snails!

i have maybe 700 Malaysian trumpet snails in my tank and good water quality. i see them all the time. they are all over the place.

fins_n_fur
02-28-2008, 07:24 AM
@ Jess: They do resemble the first picture, so bog-standard mystery snail--do they have a name. I had looked at your site before for snail pictures, but the first one seemed more yellow than mine and the honeycomb-like black pattern was not as evident (probably I was not awake enough to notice LOL). I don't mind them, but I wish that they would stop pooing on my plants LOL.

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 07:33 AM
i have maybe 700 Malaysian trumpet snails in my tank and good water quality. i see them all the time. they are all over the place.

If you ever get over whelmed just vaccuume your substrate really well this will get rid of any sick or baby ones and lessen your population a bit. Thanks for the info on seeing them, ill keep that in mind.

A for that link to the snails, it was good, except those are not "mystery snails"at the top, they are pond snails, Asexual and fast producing.

Mystery snails (Pomacea bridgesii) are a type of apple snails and are sexual, and thier eggs are layed above the water line and are pink and very obvious.

Fishalicious
02-28-2008, 07:42 AM
I had this discussion a while back already ....

Mystery Snails in the US are Apple Snails (Pomacea bridgesii)

In Europe (UK) Mystery Snails are just that - the mystery ones that pop up in your tank from nowhere - pond snails.

fins_n_fur they come in many different shades & colors - I even have a brown one with white stripes

XXX

karbomb
02-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Have a looksie here
http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com/2007/08/snails-in-aqua-theyre-free.html

XXX
my mts don't eat any of the green spot algae in my tank (like in your video) :(.
i want them to. :(

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 08:14 AM
I had this discussion a while back already ....

Mystery Snails in the US are Apple Snails (Pomacea bridgesii)

In Europe (UK) Mystery Snails are just that - the mystery ones that pop up in your tank from nowhere - pond snails.

fins_n_fur they come in many different shades & colors - I even have a brown one with white stripes

XXX

Im sorry, ill make sure to note when im talking about them to note where i live and the species name as to not cause confusion.

Sorry to make you repeat yourself, im new to the forum and was just trying to inform.

Fishalicious
02-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Oh ... please don't take me the wrong way... I didn't mean it in any bad way that it was discussed before.... I didn't mean it in any way offensive..:confused:

I love my Malaysian Trumpet Snails - keep the sand nice and aired and at night come out and eat all the algae... I do find they breed awful quick though so I always have to remove some every water change... but seeing they all come out at night it is just a case of waiting 30 minutes after lights out and picking them all off of the glass :ezpi_wink1:

karbomb
02-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Oh ... please don't take me the wrong way... I didn't mean it in any bad way that it was discussed before.... I didn't mean it in any way offensive..:confused:

I love my Malaysian Trumpet Snails - keep the sand nice and aired and at night come out and eat all the algae... I do find they breed awful quick though so I always have to remove some every water change... but seeing they all come out at night it is just a case of waiting 30 minutes after lights out and picking them all off of the glass :ezpi_wink1:
why do mine not eat any algae at all?

Fishalicious
02-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Are you maybe overfeeding Karbomb? Why eat algae when you can have yummy fish food :ezpi_wink1:

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Alot of snails only eat algea when they are young. Snails will learn that you will put in fish food and they will actually come to the surface untill you drop some in and then walk on the underside of the water to get to it :)

Algea for older snails is a last resort! LOL

karbomb
02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Are you maybe overfeeding Karbomb? Why eat algae when you can have yummy fish food :ezpi_wink1:
i may overfeed a little bit, mostly for the corys and ghosties... hey they like frozen blood worms too. though i don't think any of my MTS have ever eaten algae.