PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

seamajor
02-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi! I've another batch of fry. I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm also not convinced as to what they are. It is possible trhat they are Green Terror or Blue Acara. There is no concensus some think Convict cross with JD.

The fry are at the wriggler stage. Only emerged from the eggs overnight. The parents protect them well but they are in a 5ft tank with loads of other fish including silver sharks, bristlenose, clown loaches, pleco and angel and another mystery fish. The tank is very active now with everyone looking for a free meal!

Last time I removed the fry when they appeared to be free swimming. The parents moved them aroun all the time. I don't know yet if the fry survived as I had a lot of fry produced at the same time and they are still too small to identify. Any how if I want the to grow what should I do?
Thanks

angelcakes
02-25-2008, 10:01 AM
hello,are you able to show some pictures this might help a little bit more thumbs2: thumbs2:try removing the fry into another tank,because the other fish as you pointed out might be looking for a free meal

seamajor
02-25-2008, 10:37 AM
These photos are in my album already and on former posts seeking ID. but here they are handy.thanks for your interest. These fish have an amazing colour change. Same fish.
sorry computer issues!

Hairback357
02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I am confused. Are you saying that two of these hybrids you already had have spawned? I am in the same boat as you actually. I have a Texas Cichlid that has spawned with a female Pink Convict. They have hatched a couple of days ago and are almost free swimming now. When these two fish spawned in my tank all hell broke loose so what I did was bought a tank partition and sectioned the parents along with the Frye off. That calmed everything back down but now I still have to decide what to do with the Frye. Once they start swimming around the parents will be unable to protect them. I have a second tank with 5 small Danios in it I could put them in but how do you catch baby fish in a 55 Gallon tank? Turkey baster?

seamajor
02-25-2008, 08:19 PM
The parents are the same..whatever they are, the silver coloured fish is the same fish photohraphed stripy. Fry are an issue, they are still there thismorning.I don't know if the fry can survive without their parents. Maybe I should wait until they are swimming around?
I have a baby tank. It's where I put the last fry. Now I have swordtails, bristleni=one and the young of these or a guppy..I don't know there was a female guppy without a mate but the young ones look a lot like guppies noy...have to wait and see.
good luck with your...what will youm call them? I didn't realise that the fish could cross breed so much.

Tooch
02-25-2008, 08:33 PM
These photos are in my album already and on former posts seeking ID. but here they are handy.thanks for your interest. These fish have an amazing colour change. Same fish.
sorry computer issues!

Great looking fish! They definatly have the color traits of a GT...

Pr0eve
02-25-2008, 08:54 PM
if you move the fry out of the main tank, be ready to hand fed them, IE infusoria when the fry hit free swimming the parents will still watch over them, and will for a long time.

Ill see if I can upload a .pdf file for your reading that will help in this.

seamajor
02-26-2008, 07:25 AM
thanks for the info...fry still wriggling away