PDA

View Full Version : Kenyi... please read!

xRitualxSinx
02-25-2008, 04:51 AM
So, as I've said before, I have three Kenyi, one male, two females, and a bristlenose pleco in a 20 Gallon long. I'm currently gathering materials and resources to build a 73 gallon plywood and glass tank.

Anyway, to the point...

I reallize that females will also develop their own hierarchy... but... this seems a bit extreme. Both the male AND the dominant female are really giving the other female a hard time... she's not sick, she's very healthy. Her colors are looking just as good as the more dominant female.

I was attempting to catch her so as to isolate her... but, as I said she's very healthy and thus very difficult to catch. HOWEVER.... if there's anyone in Michigan who would be interested in having her, I would gladly make a trade. Preferably for equipment (high output filter or powerhead(s) or a heater for a 10 gallon... even another fish.

The dominant female and the male are spending all the time they aren't fussing with the other female in the cave(s).

With all three of them being roughly 2, 2.5 inches, is it likely that they're breeding and protecting their nests?

ANY help or advice or information is very very appreciated.

Fishguy2727
02-25-2008, 02:10 PM
You may want to just add another female, not remove any.

xRitualxSinx
02-26-2008, 01:10 AM
That's what i was thinking about this afternoon. The agression has subsided a bit, but... I think I'll get another female anyway, to disperse the agression out a bit. Thanks!

Dixie
02-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Yep that's what I would do too. I bought 2 very small (one male and one female) from a mixed africans tank and didn't know what they were, even that they were the same fish. Once I found out what they were and more about kenyi & that I had one male and one female I started looking for more females. So far I've only found one more but hopefully by the time I get a 75g. (or our other 55g. set up too) and before they start thinking about sex, I can find another one or two.