PDA

View Full Version : Are My JDs Going To Breed?

Dsoto87
02-25-2008, 04:32 AM
I came home today and my two dempseys colors were amazing. The male has always shown color but now they are so vibrant. I have hardly ever seen any color on the female except her gill plate but now she has darkened up so much. I also see a little tube pointing down. They are maybe 2.5" AT THE MOST. Are they old enough to breed? Its funny because before it seemed like the Male could not even tolerate the female. I was just going to move her to the 125 since I felt so bad. Now hes defending her. The oscar twice their size looks miserable. Ive already seen him and the male tussle a little bit.

Sorry for the long story. Basically, at 2.5 inches, are they able to breed? I wont be home pretty much all tomorrow and I dont want to come home to a dead oscar. Should I move him to the 125 now?

Ocellatus
02-25-2008, 08:42 AM
I don't know they are mature or not, but let them try and see! it might be unsuccessful in first tries but then they will figure it out.

well if its not a very big tank with some hiding places and theres possibility of deadly fights, you can move the oscar so they can do their job comfortably! also if theres no one else in the tank you can let the possible fry be with parents for a few days then remove them to a separate tank.

Hairback357
02-25-2008, 12:09 PM
I have found that JD's change colors a lot. Mine looks different all the time. They may be trying to spawn but it just may be another day in the life.