PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Nose?

gwenkat
10-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi all. Hubby has taken too long in remodeling the room for my new tank so I have had plenty of time to rethink what I want to buy. I was going to simply move my ten gallon into the 29 and add similar fish (guppies, mollies, etc.) Now I am thinking that I would like to have Gouramis. I was reading about tank mates for them and came across the elephant nose. Sooo Cool. Anybody know anything about them? I am thinking I will get one for the gourami tank but want to learn more from people that have experience with them. Also, if you know, can I put a red tail shark in the mix? It will be a 29 gallon tank with gouramis, the elephant nose, and maybe the red tailed? Let me know what you think. Thanks everyone.

Severus
10-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately i dont have any personal experince with them, but I was reading up on them and they do best in groups of 3 or more, are most active in a dimly lit aquarium ( due to sensitive eyes). They also can be very tempermental fish. easily affected by ammonia, nitirites, poor water quality...
They are very peaceful fish annd i would imagine would do fine with gouramis. The gouramis probably wouldnt bother them especially if you have a few ENs. Also, everywhere i read about them they described ENs as very active jumpers and that they WILL jump out of your aquarium if there are any openings up top.

domjd05
04-01-2009, 11:35 PM
The only difference I have with what Severus said is that they do best in a group of 3.. I have heard they are aggressive toward their own kind.

Drip Loop
04-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Very small mouth opening due to their wild diet which is worms. If you try to feed it pellets it will starve to death. If you are not prepared to feed this fish worms than it may not be for you. There are people who will tell you Im incorrect but unless they are micro pellets feeding will be difficult. Sure, he will poke his cute little nose around whatever food you put in the tank, but unless it will fit inside the small opening he will starve.

troy
04-02-2009, 01:48 AM
Um. This thread is over 2 years old.

therealorangejuice
04-02-2009, 01:57 AM
Wow. Lulz.

Oscar_freak12321
04-13-2009, 09:43 PM
elephant noses are actually fairly simple to keep if you meet their needs. Also, i think that the RTS should be fine in there as long as there are enough hiding places for the ENs and the gouramis. Here's some really good info on the EN that might come in handy.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+1882&pcatid=1882

cocoa_pleco
04-13-2009, 10:38 PM
really old thread