PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine ... with shrimp!

Sasquatch
02-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Well, the title pretty much says it. We've got a quarantine going for 1 sparkling gourami (woot, finaly found one!) along with 10 cherry shrimp.

Sorta heading it off at the pass, hoping there's nothing there, but are there any complications treating diseases with shrimp in the tank.

I know that anything copper based is out, so our malachite is no good for ich. But what about antibiotics like tetracycline. Are Pimafix and Melafix any better for inverts?

What about methylene blue? It's used as a profilactic for bettas, but can you treat a whole aquarium with it too? With shrimp?

Thanks for any advice. Took us three weeks to find the shrimp, we don't want them all to die from an acute case of ignorance.

karbomb
02-25-2008, 01:43 AM
in my experience 90% of medications with a possible exception of mela/pimafix. are bad for inverts.
why have a quarantine tank with a healthy fish in it?
EDIT: sorry i didn't realize the quarantine was for the fish... my bad
but inverts really shouldn't be in a quarantine tank.

Adrian
02-25-2008, 02:29 AM
Well, what I would do, as a temp fix to a problem like this, is get a bowl, like a betta bowl, put the shrimp in it, and treat the gourami. Then, once the gourami is okay, empty the water or filter it out with carbon and then put the shrimp back in. Unless of course copper is used, then a full strip of the tank is in order.

Sasquatch
02-25-2008, 02:56 AM
Just to be clear, I'm not actually, nor am I planning on treating with anything. We bought the gourami today, along with the shrimp, and, to be blunt, there were some diseased fish in the LFS tank.

We're hoping not to have to do anything except wait a couple of weeks and move the fish. But, if we do have to treat with something, I'd like to have a head start on what is safe for the shrimp.

karbomb
02-25-2008, 03:01 AM
Just to be clear, I'm not actually, nor am I planning on treating with anything. We bought the gourami today, along with the shrimp, and, to be blunt, there were some diseased fish in the LFS tank.

We're hoping not to have to do anything except wait a couple of weeks and move the fish. But, if we do have to treat with something, I'd like to have a head start on what is safe for the shrimp.
ohhh okeedoke.
your probably fine then. were there diseased fish in the tank that you got the gourami from? i got a loach from an lfs a while back, and when i was looking at him in the bag on the way home i realized he had ich, so i put him in a little 1g plastic storage bin with a plant and treated him for ich. i also did daily WC. once he was cured (in about a 5-7 days) i put him in my tank. he was fine and so was my tank.
so i guess if you need to treat the little guy i would say put him in a temporary container w/ a heater and treat him in conjunction w/ daily WC.

Sasquatch
02-25-2008, 12:53 PM
He doesn't seem to have developed any diseases, but I did notice that there were some necrosis on one of the platies in the tank. Probably just a reaction to an injury (looked like he got slammed with a net ... ) but other than that I didn't notice anything.

We're doing this as a precautionary mesure. We've had bad experiences with chain store fish and came close to killing off out 10g tank, so now we QT everything, even if there aren't any outward signs of disease.