PDA

View Full Version : Help with plant ID, PIC>>

cabrego
02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Any idea what kind of leafy plant is in the back ground here? I just bought it and some of the leaves are starting to turn brown. The water was treated a couple of days prior with tetraplant florapride 0 0 3, which is mostly an iron/phosphorus supplement with other traces.

I really like it and want to make sure it survives. But for some reason it is not immediately taking well to the tank.

any ideas?:confused:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj56/cpabrego/DSC02003.jpg

smaug
02-24-2008, 09:51 PM
I have sword identicle to them,I dont know what exact type they are,i do know they are heavy root feeders and need lots of iron.If you do not have a fertilizing substrate,seachem fluorish tabs stuck right at the roots work well,even if you do have a plant substrate they work well.The browning is likely a combination of things but mostly it is transplant shock.Keep up with the flora pride.The next question,what is your lighting like?

Dave66
02-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Echinodorus cordifolius, Cab. What's your substrate and fertilization schedule? The big swords like that need plenty of nutrients in the substrate and the water. Chelated Iron is the big one.
Your plant will grow to between 16 and over 20 inches tall.

Dave

cabrego
02-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I'll start with the basics,

substrate: normal natural gravel 100 lbs
Lighting: 2x 22" Compacts 65watt 6700K's usually on from ~8am to 10pm

I removed the carbon filter yesterday and was worried it may have sucked up some trace elements. So, I just treated with a half dose of florapride.

The tank just completely cycled so, I know there are minimal nitrates/nitrites as my nitrates actually went to zero, along with my nitrites of course. The tank is about 4 weeks in and, the gravel has not been vaccumed.

This plant is a monster it actually has a stem that is about 14" long with small sprouts.

Do you think the florapride is enough for this plant? I will take a couple of better pics of it..

smaug
02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I'll start with the basics,

substrate: normal natural gravel 100 lbs
Lighting: 2x 22" Compacts 65watt 6700K's usually on from ~8am to 10pm

I removed the carbon filter yesterday and was worried it may have sucked up some trace elements. So, I just treated with a half dose of florapride.

The tank just completely cycled so, I know there are minimal nitrates/nitrites as my nitrates actually went to zero, along with my nitrites of course. The tank is about 4 weeks in and, the gravel has not been vaccumed.

This plant is a monster it actually has a stem that is about 14" long with small sprouts.

Do you think the florapride is enough for this plant? I will take a couple of better pics of it..
no,the flora pride is not enough but it is iron and pottasium all swords are heavy root feeders and I use what I stated in my earlier post.your light is minimal,twice that is what is need for really good growth.

cabrego
02-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Do this pictures indicate anything particular?

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj56/cpabrego/DSC02022.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj56/cpabrego/DSC02019.jpg

smaug
02-26-2008, 01:41 AM
After looking at those last pics,that is not what I have.I still dont know what mine are.