PDA

View Full Version : The overall benefits of plants in your tank

LosC
02-24-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm going to be adding Java Fern to my tank. I want to know what are the benefits for my fish having plants in my tank? I've been told that the Java Fern will not lower the pH in my tank. I'm sure different plants have different effects. Is there a better starter plant than Java Fern in terms of overall positive effects on the watre in my tank ?

smaug
02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
I have not found that any plant will lower ph,and some plants have very little effect on water quality at all,slow grower such as the fern and mosses come to mind,I have experianced dramatic reductions in nitrates and phosphate from plants because they are a food for plants.Some forms of water weeds will lower carbonate hardness but i have no experiance with these.In short fast growing plants will have the best overall effect on your water quality but it will not be a huge effect.With good light all the stem plants are good such as cabomba ,ludwigia ,anachris , water sprite ,wysteria etc.

angelcakes
02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
another benefit of plants is that some fish like to hide and will hide in the plants some use then for defenses,i know its not about your water but this might also help as a benefit,

smaug
02-24-2008, 09:47 PM
another benefit of plants is that some fish like to hide and will hide in the plants some use then for defenses,i know its not about your water but this might also help as a benefit,
oh,yeah I forgot about the benefits for the fish,sorry.

karbomb
02-24-2008, 10:09 PM
not to mention it makes the tank look a lot more natural. as soon as i put plants in my 3g my danio felt a lot more comfortable coming out to the front of the tank, whereas before he was hiding. i think if it mimics their natural environment then the fish feel way more comfortable.

LosC
02-24-2008, 10:13 PM
All your replies are great. I'd really like to know what plants do to the water. Either way I'm still getting plants and I agree with you guys that plants do make fish feel more comfortable and less stressed, they serve as hiding places, chillen time, and for defence.

LosC
02-24-2008, 10:16 PM
not to mention it makes the tank look a lot more natural. as soon as i put plants in my 3g my danio felt a lot more comfortable coming out to the front of the tank, whereas before he was hiding. i think if it mimics their natural environment then the fish feel way more comfortable.

I want my Cory's to do this. All except my 2 peppered ones seem to swim away into a cave when I am too close. My Betta loves me, or so I think, maybe he just wants food all the time. He never hides, always swimming up and down side to side even lets me touch him but I don't do that much.

smaug
02-24-2008, 10:18 PM
All your replies are great. I'd really like to know what plants do to the water. Either way I'm still getting plants and I agree with you guys that plants do make fish feel more comfortable and less stressed, they serve as hiding places, chillen time, and for defence.
I thought I mentioned what some plants do for water quality?They use water pollutants as food,ammonia,nitrate and phosphates are all used by plants,thus you will have less of thes problematic chems in your water.

karbomb
02-24-2008, 10:19 PM
the only real effect plants have on the water in your tank is to lower nitrates or as smaug said phosphates, and food particles. which in short can add to the stability of your tank. if you got driftwood or peat moss that would have more noticeable effects on the water. it makes the PH slightly more acidic and leaches tannis into the water, turning it slightly tan. plants themselves don't effect ph, as far as i am aware.

LosC
02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
the only real effect plants have on the water in your tank is to lower nitrates or as smaug said phosphates, and food particles. which in short can add to the stability of your tank. if you got driftwood or peat moss that would have more noticeable effects on the water. it makes the PH slightly more acidic and leaches tannis into the water, turning it slightly tan. plants themselves don't effect ph, as far as i am aware.

More acidic meaning my pH would go up or down? What are tannis?

smaug
02-24-2008, 10:27 PM
More acidic meaning my pH would go up or down? What are tannis?
yes more acidic means lower ph,tannins are what driftwood and peat moss release into the water ,tannin can have a dramatic ph lowering effect.

LosC
02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Ok Thanks! I'll be getting driftwood tommorrow, what should I do with it before putting it in my tank?

karbomb
02-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Ok Thanks! I'll be getting driftwood tommorrow, what should I do with it before putting it in my tank?

you should boil it or let it sit in water for at least 24hours. though if you want more tannins you could scub it and then put it directly into the tank i think.
if you want a more dramatic effect of you ph, which i am assuming by your tetra post i would add peat moss too. just know it will discolor your water tan/yellow. the more tannins the more discoloration

LosC
02-24-2008, 11:25 PM
you should boil it or let it sit in water for at least 24hours. though if you want more tannins you could scub it and then put it directly into the tank i think.
if you want a more dramatic effect of you ph, which i am assuming by your tetra post i would add peat moss too. just know it will discolor your water tan/yellow. the more tannins the more discoloration

Am I looking at a rapid drop in pH once I put in the driftwood assuming I did the proper prep work?

doug z
02-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Driftwood will only temporarily affect PH..

Especially if you boil it, and leave it submerged in water (the longer the better)..

When the water turns the colour of tea, change the water.. Do it until it no longer stains the water (unless you want that effect)..

It still might discolour the water of your tank after everything you do, but the filters should take care of it..

smaug
02-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Am I looking at a rapid drop in pH once I put in the driftwood assuming I did the proper prep work?
driftwood will maybe drop your water .2-.3.and the effect will last for about a year if its a big piece,all I did with mine was soak it in water for a week first just to get any thing loose off.

karbomb
02-25-2008, 02:13 AM
definitely not a dramatic effect, that's why i also suggested peat moss. only .2 or .3 as stated by smaug

Lady Hobbs
02-25-2008, 03:45 AM
I think the best part about growing plants is so you can have the pleasure of growing every kind of algae known to man.

:(

karbomb
02-25-2008, 03:50 AM
I think the best part about growing plants is so you can have the pleasure of growing every kind of algae known to man.

:(
hahaha word. that is my problem right now.

Adrian
02-25-2008, 04:14 AM
I don't get it, I don't have a lick of algae in my tank. But then again, I don't have much of a tank anymore either. It is packed with plants.

cocoa_pleco
02-25-2008, 04:16 AM
lol, i added scrap java moss and cabomba to my 10g auratus tank, and i have 36w of CF on the tank, no ferts or anything, just a tank for the auratus since hes crabby

all of the sides have algae, and the java moss and cabomba have grown 600% in size, and the whole top has a floating mass of green mushy plant, he loves that tank though