PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose Injured @ Store

Emmastaff
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Hello,
Yesterday I purchased a bristlenose pleco at the LFS. The guy who caught it used the plastic box type thing that they put the water in and then the fish in once they catch it. He used the box to catch the pleco. The whole ordeal seemed a little rough to me, but I figured he must know what he is doing. Well, I get this (expensive) bristlenose home and he has a torn anal fin which is bleeding in the bag. It was a slow stream of blood but was definately there. So I being very concerned call the store, who closes in just a few minutes. They were like "well if you can get here before we close we'll take it back". Of course I couldn't have made it, it was too far away. They told me they have a one day warrenty so if he dies the next day (today) then I can get my money back. ARGGHHHH! Well he is alive today. So no refund, but who knows if he won't end up dying in a few days. I guess my question is, what can I do to promote healing of that torn fin and give him the best chances of healing up and surviving. Can he survive bleeding like that? He is in a flowerpot in the tank right now and has good coloring. I did put some stress coat in the tank to help him along. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. He is a good size bristlenose about 4".

angelcakes
02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
you could try some melafix and keep an eye on him (behaviour and feeding)but got to admit the store was rough,

Emmastaff
02-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Would the Melafix affect the other fish in the tank or my biological filter at all? I don't have a hospital tank unfortunately.

angelcakes
02-24-2008, 05:43 PM
i dont think it will hurt the other fish and it should'nt effect bio filter,i have that set in filter and its done no damadge,

gm72
02-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Plecos are particularly sensitive to meds, so be careful. Medication in this case isn't really necessary though since there is not an active infection.

Emmastaff
02-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks, he seems OK today. His fin looks fine from what I can see. So perhaps I'll just take a wait and see approach.

doug z
02-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Hope he's ok! :(

fishfanatic33
02-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Man sorry about the injured pleco......I can't believe the @$$'s at your LFS

Arkie
02-25-2008, 12:13 AM
good luck with your injured fishy, keep us updated on his recovery thumbs2:

seamajor
02-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Good luck with your friend. Hopefully it'll pick up quickly...may be change pet stores. You think they'd know how to handle the creatures sensitively.