PDA

View Full Version : Help on mixing Apistos!!!!!

fishfanatic33
02-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Can you mix different types of Apistos in the same tank? My dwarf cichlid books say you can,but some advice I have been given doesn't agree. The fish would be in a 100g so there would be plenty of room. Wadaya think?

jbeining75
02-24-2008, 02:44 AM
In a hundred gallon you could probably pair up quite a few types.. The most important thing is to have enough establishable territory... Create a territory big enough for each group and introduce in groups or 6-8 apistos.... wait 2-3 weeks then introduce another 6-8 group...

fishfanatic33
02-24-2008, 02:52 AM
70 Cardinal tetras
70 Green fire tetras
40 Rummynose tetras
1 gold nugget pleco
2 clown plecos
?2 flash plecos?(depending on cost and if I can find them)

This next part is still under thought

2 aequidens curviceps M/F
2 aequidens dorsiger M/F
4 apisto. borelli 1M/3F
2 or 4 bolivian rams
4 apisto agissizii 1M/3F

Is this a good dwarf selection? And can I do any more?

and a school of corys(whats a good number?)

Is that to many fish? I tried to go off the numbers Dave gave me. I went with less tetras so I can have a school of Corys and some more dwarfs.

Pickles
02-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Different groups of different Apisto species?

Am I losing it? Well, it was like 7-8 years ago, but I could swear I was told not to mix Apistos as they will interbreed and you'll get varients which is not wanted in the fancy.

David Soares was here in town. He gave me three. Said it was okay to keep them with my two Pelvees but not to keep them with other Apistos.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be compatible; actually the opposite! LOL!

But in the last eight or so years, maybe Apisto breeders have relaxed their standards. <shrugs shoulders>

Pickles
02-24-2008, 02:57 AM
I would kill to see a school of 70 Cardinal Tetras. That has to be stunning.

jbeining75
02-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Maybe 6 cories like panda cories... I'd leave the bolivians alone... Go with the other groups. 1 male to 2 female (3ea.) 4 species apistos...

Pickles
02-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Check this out:

http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/interbreeding.html

Just to muddy the waters more!

Uwe is/was a partner of David Soares.

Pickles
02-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Fishfanatic, those agissizii are the very ones that have been documentd interbreeding.

I'm butting my nose out now. To me it's a question of ethics at this point. I really think there's no harm in keeping different Apistos together as long as you never ever plan on selling/giving them away. But who knows what lies down the road for you and whatever fry you may or may not have?

I've just got a thing about hybrids and hobby-made varients. I want to know when I'm getting a so-and-so species, that's what I'm getting and don't want to have to worry about mixed species.

Getting off soapbox now and butting out.

cocoa_pleco
02-24-2008, 03:20 AM
I would kill to see a school of 70 Cardinal Tetras. That has to be stunning.

once i saw a school of 500, it was INSANE, and in a 350g planted tank

Pickles
02-24-2008, 03:31 AM
Lucky dog, cocoa. How'd you ever tear yourself away? I can't even imagine the sight. It must have been gorgeous.

P.S. I *didn't* say I wouldn't lurk! Just said I'd keep my nose outta things! LOL!

Incredulous_Ed
02-24-2008, 04:32 AM
I've hear dthat you can, and that different species generally ignore each other. Keep in mind at the off chance that they do interbreed, you will have to cull the fry.

fishfanatic33
02-24-2008, 05:32 AM
That is what I thought,but if I put them together that is just a chance I'll have to take, right?

Incredulous_Ed
02-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Basically yeah. Did you read all the info on apistos on www.thekrib.com?

Pickles
02-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Yes, it is. You'll never know who bred with whom.

Whoopsie! Sticking my schnoze in again!

Bottomline, all fry will have to be, uhmnmmm... Gotten rid of. No culling since you won't know what's what.

Pickles
02-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Yes, it is. You'll never know who bred with whom.

Whoopsie! Sticking my schnoze in again!

Bottomline, all fry will have to be, uhmnmmm... Gotten rid of. No culling since you won't know what's what.

Pickles
02-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Yikes!

Sorry about the double post. Trying to get rid of one and can't figure it out.

Please accept my apologies.

Spyder
02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I have A.Cacatuoides, A.Borellis and A.Trifasciata together without inbreeding or trouble.

I also have A.Hongsloi and A,Macmasteri together without trouble or inbreeding.

It really depends on the family of fish on if they will inbreed. A. Agassizii and A. Borelli will not inbreed.

fishfanatic33
02-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Ok I read all the info on "The Krib" and the info on interbreeding seems divided,some say they will some say they won't. And if Spyder has kept different species together and he doesn't have a problem then it must not be that bad. My conclusion is,is that unless there is some pretty concrete evidence,or firsthand experience that they will interbreed,then I think it will be okay to put at least,certain species together. Now there may be certain species that will interbreed easier than others,so if you let me know what they are,I wont put them together.