PDA

View Full Version : Help, My blue diamond is dying

kitten3326
02-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I have a blue diamond discus in a 40 gallon tank with 2 other discus, one snakeskin discus and one larger orange discus. They are also accompained by 9 peppered cories and a very small shoal of neons. My blue diamond was not doing well for awhile, was constantly being harrassed by my orange one. I removed the orange one for 2 weeks and returned him back, but then the snakeskin was continually harrassing the blue diamond and then in the last couple of days they were both back to picking on him. So I then removed the blue diamond and put him in another tank, but it seemed that because he was alone he just laid on the bottom. So I felt really bad and put him back in the discus tank, when I woke up this morning he was stuck to the filter, I currently have him in the same discus tank, but in a large net to keep the others from poking at him, but he is not dead yet. Is there anything I can do for him, or is he destined to go to a watery grave. I feel really awful, he is my favorite and it almost looks like he was straving he is very thin. Could I possibly have too many cories. Water parameters are perfect, they have a nice black substrate, a black background and peat filtered water to keep the ph at 6.8. Please help if possible.

Thankyou
Karen

smaug
02-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Im afraid your tank is very overcrowded and it is finally affecting the health of your discus.A 40 is really not big enough for discus even just 1 when full grown would be cramped.Im sorry about your fish.

kitten3326
02-23-2008, 09:24 PM
I realize that, however they are very small right now and will be going to a 75 in the near future, the thing I am worried about is the number of cories, are they taking all of the discus's food.

gm72
02-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Smaug has it correct here. Your tank is overcrowded and you are seeing the repercussions of such.

kitten3326
02-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I was going to purchase a 75 in April, I might have to bump that up, they are so small at this point it just doesn't look like there is anything in there.

I must say however, I am shocked that this would happen, I am a religious with my water changes, they recieve 35% water changes daily, there water parameters are excellent, could not be better and these are not large fish by any means just yet. I have been fishkeeping for many years and research all my fish and their needs, I have often started fish in smaller tanks and moved them once they got a little bigger, I would never do anything that was not in the best interest of the fish I keep. I understand that I am overstocked and the same repetive information is not helping, I would like to know however if there is anything that I could do right now to help the blue diamond. I am sure that I am not the only one on this forum that is currently overstocked, but when seeking assistance in a situtation where help is currently needed, the same information is not at all helpful, this is one of my favorite fish and any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated. What good does it do to tell me that my tank is overstocked 2 or 3 different times, I am very aware of that and all it does is make me feel bad over a situation that I can not change today. If are going to tell me my tank is overstocked, don't bother I already know.

gm72
02-23-2008, 09:38 PM
You are dealing with territorial issues here. The size of the fish matters not but rather the territory they require.

6 discus, 9 corys, and a school of neons is causing a serious problem quite clearly.

kitten3326
02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't have 6 discus, I have 3 discus, 9 cories, and 5 neons, I don't know where 6 discus came from. It is in my sig.

Adrian
02-23-2008, 09:58 PM
I have a blue diamond discus in a 40 gallon tank with 2 other discus, one snakeskin discus and one larger orange discus. They are also accompained by 9 peppered cories and a very small shoal of neons. My blue diamond was not doing well for awhile, was constantly being harrassed by my orange one. I removed the orange one for 2 weeks and returned him back, but then the snakeskin was continually harrassing the blue diamond and then in the last couple of days they were both back to picking on him. So I then removed the blue diamond and put him in another tank, but it seemed that because he was alone he just laid on the bottom. So I felt really bad and put him back in the discus tank, when I woke up this morning he was stuck to the filter, I currently have him in the same discus tank, but in a large net to keep the others from poking at him, but he is not dead yet. Is there anything I can do for him, or is he destined to go to a watery grave. I feel really awful, he is my favorite and it almost looks like he was straving he is very thin. Could I possibly have too many cories. Water parameters are perfect, they have a nice black substrate, a black background and peat filtered water to keep the ph at 6.8. Please help if possible.

Thankyou
Karen

Karen, I don't know much about discus keeping, however I do know they can not handle stress very well. Kinda like me....Putting him back in the discus tank brings him into the same enviroments, good water and such. But in a net may cause even further stress. I do have a suggestion, not sure if it will work or not, but get a divider. Place the blue on one side of it, the others on the other side of it. Add more aeration to the blue side, add some floating plants to subdue the lighting, and see what happens. That is the only thing I can think of. That discus needs to have a break from the stress, and that may help. Just my suggestion. I know if I was a fish, that is what I would want.

gm72
02-23-2008, 09:59 PM
I have a blue diamond discus in a 40 gallon tank with 2 other discus, one snakeskin discus and one larger orange discus. Karen

I misinterpreted your post as above to imply that you had 6. I was thinking one blue diamond with two others, PLUS the snakeskin and larger orange. My mistake.

Bottom line is that you are still having these issues.

kitten3326
02-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Thank you very much for the suggestion, the netting I have in there actually keeps them separte, the other discus can not touch or poke at him, I will try adding some more aeration to his side of the tank, I also only have the moon lights on, as I am trying to make it a peaceful as possible in there, should I add a little stresscoat, do you think this would help.

The netting that separtes them, is built in a frame and supported by the walls of the tank, I thought I better clear that up.

Also gm72, I am sorry if I sounded short, just worried, the tank problem will be looked after on monday and it won't be an issue any longer.

Adrian
02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
I would add a bit o stresscoat. I do not think it will hurt. I am glad to hear that the netting you are using has some size to it. I thought it was in like a regular net that you catch fish with. Though, I still think a divider would be better, as this gives the fish more places to go. Would you like to be trapped? Neither would the fish. I would still throw some floating plants in there...as it resembles more of its own natural territory. Just a thought.

kitten3326
02-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks again, I have on that side of the tank, some java fern and amazon swords, the tank is well planted. My husband is currently in the garage making me a plexiglass divider, thanks again, I will keep you posted. I also went ahead and add the stress coat.

kitten3326
02-24-2008, 01:14 AM
After laying on his side for awhile, my beautiful blue diamond has succomed to the bullying and tormenting of his tankmates, the other two discus that are in the tank are living peacefully and seem to get along great, I am very sad that this has happened. I would like to thank all who has helped I appreciate everything, thank you.

Karen