PDA

View Full Version : Discus Problem

GregB
02-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi,
I have a 29 gal tank with 2 discus and they have been laying on the bottom of the tank now for 3 days. Each have a white spots, the femals has it on the back of her fin and gills and the male has white spots on the body and a clouding over the eyes. Today, the female is at least swimming more although she tends to stay towards the top of the tank in a corner.

Currently using PimaFix and have added a little salt. Doing water changes everyday also. The water parameters tested fine.

Any ideas on what is wrong and how to help out the fish to make them better? Anything would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

cocoa_pleco
02-23-2008, 05:03 AM
sounds like ich.

However, discus needs groups of at least 5 ang a 55g

GregB
02-23-2008, 05:54 AM
How do we get rid of the ich?

The two were mating ALOT and the eggs hatched but about 3 days later the fry were eaten. That's when we set up another tank just for them and again they laid eggs but this time they ate the eggs. We have 2 mating pairs so we thought we'd just give one pair their own tank. The other tank is a 65 gallon with 7 Discus.

If we can get rid of the ich, is it best to put them back into the larger tank? Any suggestions on how to treat the ich? Thanks soooo much!

cocoa_pleco
02-23-2008, 05:57 AM
it would be best to move them after the ich is treated.

Ive heard that melafix and pimafix are deadly with discus, so i would continue with high temperatures and salt

EDIT- just read you added pimafix, how are they doing with it? other people on forums swear its deadly with discus

GregB
02-23-2008, 06:22 AM
After we started the pimfix the two fish reacted differently. The one that was the worst got better while the other one that was doing ok got worse.

We'll do another water change and we've already raised the temperature plus added salt. Any other suggestions?

We read that malachite green/formaldehyde combination sold under the brand
name "Quick Cure" or "RidIch" is good, do you agree? Thanks again! We really don't want to loose these two so we want to do everything possible (and right) to help save them:)

smaug
02-23-2008, 06:41 AM
After we started the pimfix the two fish reacted differently. The one that was the worst got better while the other one that was doing ok got worse.

We'll do another water change and we've already raised the temperature plus added salt. Any other suggestions?

We read that malachite green/formaldehyde combination sold under the brand
name "Quick Cure" or "RidIch" is good, do you agree? Thanks again! We really don't want to loose these two so we want to do everything possible (and right) to help save them:)
Good eve.First ,Im sorry you have this problem especially with discus,this is the first Ive looked at this post because I have no experiance with them.I do have experiance with ich.I use AP products quick cure,it has worked very well for me in the past,contrary to the instructions I have used it with sensitive to ich meds fish such as catfish and tetra.I have experianced no losses with it.The pima and melafix will do nothing for the ich except for possibly soothing there stresses a bit,as cocoa stated we have heard that mela is bad news with discus but I cannot back that up.Turn your heat up to 85deg and use the quick cure product as directed,make sure to gravel vac very well when you are done and make sure to run carbon to clear out the meds after the cycle,keep us posted and good luck.

Nautilus291
02-23-2008, 10:30 AM
when you say white spots are the bigger or salt grain sized? If its just one bigger sized white spot its a fungus. If your discus are speckled with a bunch of saltgrain looking white spots then its ick.

If it is ick keep big water changes like 50% a day. If the white spots leave then keep doijng those big water changes for at least a week afterwards.

Fishguy2727
02-23-2008, 02:03 PM
If it is ick I use Quick Cure, sometimes Coppersafe.

I have never had any issues using Pimafix and Melafish with discus.

jhill54
02-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Greg,
What temps do you usually keep on this tank? I keep mine 85,86 at all times.

SpyderSpy6
02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
I used Melafix & Primafix on my tank of 6 discus and about 20 minutes after putting it in my tank, my fish were not happy. I noticed an immediate change in their demeanor and about an hour later my blue panda developed a white film that made him look like he was "cracking". I don't recommend using either product.

I recently went through a bacteria infection in my tank and I used Mardel brand medications to clear it up. I saw a difference the first day with their product. Everyone has their own opinions, but I would stay away from Melafix & Primafix.

If you have the option of a hospital tank I would suggest using it. The Mardel brand medicine (depending on tank size and the medication) can get fairly expensive. I have a 75 gallon and it cost me about $90 bucks to medicate it for 9 days. Much better than losing a fish though :o) .

Even though the sick discus got better, you still had the one that got worse, not a good thing.

Goodluck and I hope everything clears up!