PDA

View Full Version : I'm cycling and have a ?

Lady Hobbs
10-01-2006, 02:24 AM
Cycling that new 55 tank now and have added 8 gourami's. Is this too many to start with as I can put a couple in another tank. Comes to about 32 inches of fish. Started with too many fish before and sure don't want to make the same error.

I am using old nasty filters, used gravel in bags and using plastic plants and wood taken from another tank. The normal stuff.......just don't want too many fish to start with.

kimmers318
10-01-2006, 03:19 AM
I would gather to say you should be fine as long as you keep an eye on your water parameters. It sounds like you have added plenty of items to jump start your bacterial cultures.

Lady Hobbs
10-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks kid-o. I had to cycle a tank before with way too many fish and needless to say, it was a heck of a job.

How do they do it in the stores when they have no decorations, no bio-wheels or gravel? It must all come from the huge canisters they use.

kimmers318
10-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Honestly, I don't think the chain stores give a rats a**. Occasionally you find an employee at one that actually has the fish's well being in their hearts, but they are pretty limited to what they can do.
The stores that are private that I like (wish they were closer) have decor, hiding places and such.

Lady Hobbs
10-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I have written to two cooperate offices that have fish in my area with complaints on the care of their fish. WalMarts and Meijers. Within a week, Meijers had called me and said conditions would be improved immediately and they were. WalMart on the other hand, called and said their conditions would improve also and as best I can see, have gotten worse! Their fish are so chewed up you'd think they'd have gone thru a blender.

I blame the care of the fish on the managers of these stores. Who will get after these employees if they do not? Ultimately, it's their responsiblility and it reflects back on them.

This link is for complaints to Walmart.
http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=224

Cichlid_Man
10-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi,
Just want to throw my 2 cents in here.
Where I live there are only 2 places to buy fish. PetSmart and Walmart.
Walmart is awful, and PetSmart actually has a few tanks set up labeled "ICH Tanks".
I asked the fellow why they have ICH tanks and he replied.." We can't care for every fish that comes in here. That's why we sell cheap so there is quick turnover. If a fish is here more than a week he goes into the ICH tank because he developes spots."

I replied..."So, you sell them cheap and fast and then we come back for all medicines to treat the ICH in our tanks"...

He didn't like that remark but hey, it's the truth.
I buy a lot of fish online and never had a problem.

BTW

Thanks Hobbs, for those articles you found. Reading is my best source for learning about this hobby!