PDA

View Full Version : mystery snail fry pic

mitcore
02-22-2008, 11:40 PM
here they are my fry on the side of the box

enjoy all

Tolley
02-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Neat! its quite cool how those huge snails start so small!

jbeining75
02-23-2008, 12:16 AM
They are making a break for the top already....

Adrian
02-23-2008, 12:30 AM
I want some! LOL, I have 2, but I think they are either both female, or both male. Can't breed that way. Perhaps I will get some more. I dunno. I got a pretty full tank as is.

mitcore
02-23-2008, 12:35 AM
from what i have been told they can change sex at will
i thought they were a male and a female but i got told the above and they lay the eggs which float to the top and then hatch

next thing you know there are white dots everywhere
i had 50 odd and whats in the pic is all that is left my sharks and angels had a great feast LOL

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Mystery snails are either male or female...and they dont change. You can sex them when they are about the size of a nickel by turining them upside down and when they try to flip over looking inside their shell.

They attach their eggs to something above the water line, so i dont know why yours were floating except that they broke off and floated (the eggs will drown if contacted with water, so the bottom ones probably didnt make it).

If you dont know what to do with them, once they get to be about pea size you can sell them to a lfs. Also if you dont want anymore just check for more clutches and remove them as soon as you see them and voila! no more babies :)

karbomb
02-28-2008, 07:12 AM
they look darling mitcore. congratulations.
my mystery snail died today. it actually really made me mad. especially since he was a snail and what on earth kills them? he was beautiful too, he had a white shell and blue foot with red spots. but i walk over to my tank and there he is floating at the top of the water...

mitcore
03-04-2008, 06:29 AM
something in the gravel/sand would be the likely cause