PDA

View Full Version : Cambomba

gm72
02-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I had to put this out in the general Plant section because I'm not smart enough yet to know exactly what kind of plant it is. Stem?

Anyway, the Cabomba is growing very, very well. Questions:
1. To trim it I cut it just above the leaf junction?
2. I can then plant the cutting in the substrate, correct?
3. Will it then branch out from the original plant?

Thanks, folks.

Fishguy2727
02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Yes, in plants like this cutting the main plant causes it to become bushier. You can see this in pothos easily. Untrimmed pothos ends up as a long, half-bare vine. Well-trimmed pothos is more like a bush.

If I remember correctly from my Botany class (Dave can correct if this is wrong) the hormones given off at the tip where growth is occuring prevent or limit growth in other parts of the plant. Cut the tip, stops those hormones, the plant will begin to grow from other areas that had been kept in check.

I had a cactus that was growing too tall and I didn't want it to topple over. I cut just the tip. Now there is a new branch coming from the ground right next to it.

zeon
02-24-2008, 06:01 AM
Yes, in plants like this cutting the main plant causes it to become bushier. You can see this in pothos easily. Untrimmed pothos ends up as a long, half-bare vine. Well-trimmed pothos is more like a bush.

If I remember correctly from my Botany class (Dave can correct if this is wrong) the hormones given off at the tip where growth is occuring prevent or limit growth in other parts of the plant. Cut the tip, stops those hormones, the plant will begin to grow from other areas that had been kept in check.

I had a cactus that was growing too tall and I didn't want it to topple over. I cut just the tip. Now there is a new branch coming from the ground right next to it.

Very Interesting, thanks for sharing that.