PDA

View Full Version : How long does diy co2 take to produce?

Duzzy
02-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Hi there,

I started my diy co2 mix 2pm yesterday i was just wondering how long it will take to produce co2 and if it doesnt how long should i wait to start another mix?

Regards Darren

Bobo the Clown Loach
02-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Mine started producing the next day. If you get a settlement of the yeast on the top of the bottle, just give the bottle a gentle shake to stir up the contents. I'm not real sure how long it will last. I've heard 2 weeks. I set mine up a week and a half ago so I'll have to see.

PUNISHER VETTE
02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Mine does it almost instantly or at least within an hour.....:confused:

Lady Hobbs
02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Mine is within just minutes. If you start it with water too cold, it can take some time to start. Water too hot will kill the yeast. It must be just luckwarm when adding the yeast.

You may also have a hole in the top or the line.

sailor
02-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Also check the best before date on your yeast. With almost 30 yrs cooking experience it usually isn't as potent towards the end of its best before date. Keep your yeast in the freezer, it lasts longer that way.

PUNISHER VETTE
02-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah i would also check for a leak in the system somewhere. One of my 2lt bottles had one and it caused the whole thing to not have enough pressure to get the air down to the diffuser. The CO2 would just sit in the same spot in the line and the bottles weren't expanding. sprayed some water on it and there where bubbles around the cap of one so i just use the other one only now.