PDA

View Full Version : Triggerfish and Water Quality

kimberley26
09-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't know where the correct place to post this would be. This is my first time ever using this type of forum of communication.

But I have a very reclusive Bluethroat triggerfish. It is only him and a coral beauty angel and two emarald crabs in my 75 gallon tank.

We had a water quality issue not too long ago. But we did three water changes within a week and (before getting the crabs) had treated with copper.

He is not showing any signs of ick and most of the time will not even come out to eat. We did treat with eurythromycin (sp?) and he did eat that one day but that is it?

Ammonia is just a tad high but I think he is causing it?.?.?

If anyone could help with any advice I would appreciate it.

Lady Hobbs
09-29-2006, 03:48 PM
You probably should have posted under the water quality thread and gotten better responses but I'll take a stab here.
Even a little ammonia is toxic to fish. Some can tolerate small levels but others don't do well at all. He may be stressed over the water issues you have just experienced as well.

Water changes need to continue being done until the levels for ammonia and nitrite are at 0. Watch him for signs of stress such as rapid breathing, Ick and fin rot as these can occur after ammonia levels have been off and you have a stressed fish.

Good luck.

stubbytheplecostomus
10-14-2006, 03:39 PM
most triggers, although considered to be bolder and meaner then tangs, enjoy hiding, i had a niger trigger that spent all day wedged in a piece of coral with his head sticking out, just like an eel would do. if you don't see any signs of stress he is probably just shy.