PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about my betta...

Betta_noob
09-29-2006, 03:40 PM
:help:

Hi everyone I'm new here been searching this morning for a forum to get help for my betta. His name is Lucky and I actually won him at the shore in one of those "toss the ping pong ball in the cup" games.
I was very eager to get him home because I figured he probally wasn't too healthy from the start given that they kept him in and even smaller cup than at a pet store and lord knows the last time they changed his water.
Well that was back in the summer, when I first got him home he showed off his infamous skills of being a picky eater and wouldn't touch pellets or flakes for 3 days (I've had other bettas that just loved both >_<) well by the third day I was starting to get desperate and actually fed him from the "treats" we have for our pond goldfish.
So now that's all he eats, every day I crush up krill for him to eat and he seems very happy.

But here's the issues as of late I'm starting to worry about his health, he seems quite skinny as he has bulk where his little organs and stomach should be but everywhere else is skinny in comparison. At first I thought I could be over feeding him and that it was just his stomach pooching out compared to the rest of his belly. But I know I DON'T over feed him >_< So I'm starting to worry that maybe he's not getting enough of his vital nutrients from just these dried krill snacks everyday.
And the other problem is these stripes, it's like he's a zebra and in these stripes his colors are faded.
Pictured here:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/nifer10/DSCN1448.jpg

That picture doesn't show off his skinniness though and the stripes look more defined in real life.

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations would be appreciated. I want my lucky to be just that.

mariposa
10-02-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm no expert by all means but have you tried giving him bloodworms? My Pedro loves them and would probably eat them as a regular diet if I let him. Have you tried those Hikari pellets or any of their other foods? Pedro wont eat any other betta diet except that. Good luck.

Betta_noob
10-02-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm no expert by all means but have you tried giving him bloodworms? My Pedro loves them and would probably eat them as a regular diet if I let him. Have you tried those Hikari pellets or any of their other foods? Pedro wont eat any other betta diet except that. Good luck.

He's got pellets but he hates them :/
He just spits them out

gwenkat
10-02-2006, 05:30 PM
I agree with Mariposa. My 2 bettas absolutely love blood worms. I would try some of those and see if it helps. Good luck.

Severus
10-02-2006, 09:53 PM
He's got pellets but he hates them :/
He just spits them out

That is weird, i dont think ive ever seen a Betta refuse pellets

Betta_noob
10-03-2006, 01:49 PM
That is weird, i dont think ive ever seen a Betta refuse pellets

Technically he's the 3rd betta I've had.
One was for a present and I took care of him untill I gave it to him, and the other I bought for my mom and of course I helped take care of that one and they all ate pellets :/

But yeah I guess I'll go to petco today and try and get some frozen blood worms <_<

mariposa
10-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Ya know this is a totally different animal but with my hermit crabs you have to offer them something 3-4 sometimes 5 times before they like a new food. Maybe persistance in a healthy betta food would pay off. I see your going to get some bloodworms. I'm sure those will be a hit. If not your fish has me puzzled. :(

betta mom
10-11-2006, 05:14 PM
i've had the same thing happen with a couple of my betta's . they refused to eat pellets , would only eat bolldworm . and thats not good for them as a reg diet . so every day for about 3 - 4 i put 3 pellets in their tanks , and after 15 min if they were still in there i took the pellets out . i did this 2x's a day . now they will eat the pellets . i also give them betta flakes . :luxlove:

NorthernBoy
10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
I don't know much about bettas, although some are omnivores and if you are feeding a diet of just protien may be causing bloating. At least this is the case for other fish. Bloating will kill the fish and is hard to treat. Try some vegetables of some kind. I could be very wrong but depending on the species it may be a factor.

betta mom
10-12-2006, 12:02 AM
pea's are good but just a small amount . a pea is a fishy laxitive . i feed mine a small piece of pea once a week . :hmm3grin2orange:

Betta_noob
10-14-2006, 09:01 PM
oh my god this betta is driving me nuts!

I bought him a new food by tetra made of red flakes and brine shrimp.

At first I was so excited because he went and gulped it up.

But then he coughed every single peice back up in peices...

NorthernBoy
10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
How much and how often do you feed your fish?

Betta_noob
10-16-2006, 04:32 PM
In the morning when I wake up which can be anywhere from 9-noon
Then in the evening somewhere between 7-10

And I feed him just a pinch at first and if he's still circling around at the surface more.

betta mom
10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
one thing to remember when feeding is the their belly is only as big as their eye so becareful not to over feed . i feed mine twice a day also . good luck thumbs2:

Reckless_Angel
10-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Bloating will kill the fish and is hard to treat.
/quote

kinda hard to beat death at all really :-)

NorthernBoy
10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
LOL. I meant peventing death once the fish is bloated. IMO it is best to try to get into a routine with feeding. Try and feed at the same times everyday. Using your window you could be feeding every 7-13 hours.