PDA

View Full Version : Veggies for constipation and swim bladder troubles

scruffy
02-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I mentioned this in the disease category, but thought this might make a good general food question since there is always going to one fish that eats too much. Someone suggested feeding peas for a guppy with swim bladder issues. Unfortunately, I don't have any peas. Are there any other vegetables (or fruits) that might do as well? I have fresh lettuce and broccoli I could boil, and frozen cauliflower and a can of green beans.

Any ideas?

S

angelcakes
02-20-2008, 07:21 PM
steamed spinach is worth a try,not too much!!!! also good if you have plecs:19:

Fishguy2727
02-21-2008, 01:53 AM
I feed just NLS to my goldfish (very prone to swim bladder and digestive problems) and none have any issues with either of these problems. I give them some duckweed every once in a while when I thin it out in my 20long, but not enough to prevent problems by itself. This shows that the NLS helps keep these issues to a minimum without supplementation.

Bobo the Clown Loach
02-21-2008, 03:15 AM
steamed spinach is worth a try,not too much!!!! also good if you have plecs:19:

Once a week I will put a leaf or 2 of raw spinach in a veggie clip. The plecos, the clown loaches, the otto cat, the mollies and the snails normally polish it off in a few hours. They all seem to love it and it can't hurt to feed some veggies.

scruffy
02-21-2008, 04:07 AM
I feed just NLS to my goldfish (very prone to swim bladder and digestive problems) and none have any issues with either of these problems. I give them some duckweed every once in a while when I thin it out in my 20long, but not enough to prevent problems by itself. This shows that the NLS helps keep these issues to a minimum without supplementation.

What is NLS?

Bobo the Clown Loach
02-21-2008, 04:20 AM
New Life Spectrum. Most members swear by it. I just feed a mix of Hikari, frozen and occasional veggies.