PDA

View Full Version : New to me 120 gallon tank

typically
02-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Hey guys it's been awhile since i've been on here but i haven't stopped with the hobby :c12: i am getting a 120 gallon tank this weekend and wanted some opinions on what i can keep in it. Right now i have an oscar that is about 9" a convict about 3.5" and a raphael catfish that's 4" or 5" and a 6" rhino pleco (not all in the same tank). i was planing on putting all these fish together in the 120.

would i be able to get any other fish for the tank? i know i'd have to stick with SA cichlids but not sure if my oscar would just thrash any new fish put in the tank. he gets along with the convict (that was put in the tank at about an 1") now so he isn't to ill tempered.

oh and one more thing. the tank is currently up and running with 2 canister filters which i am getting also. how long will i have to wait before i can put the fish in the tank? the tank has been running for 5 years so it is well established. thanks guys

jbeining75
02-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Make sure the 120 is cycled if you are going to throw all those fish in there... You could go with something like a green terror or Jack Dempsey...When you set the 120 add the pleco first, then the catfish, then the convict, new fish, then the Oscar last....... This will break the territories and the tank will break the aggression of the fish anyways. They all may be a little skittish or argumentative for the first couple days while they are establishing territory. Any same size SA cichlid should not get picked on if you add them all at the same time... I'd introduce the pleco and cat first though....

sailor
02-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Mr Catfish meet Mr Pleco
Mr Pleco meet Mr Catfish
LOL

fishfanatic33
02-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh Sailor.......

sailor
02-20-2008, 06:35 PM
If you are getting the actual cannisters that are running on the tank, almost be right away, just don't leave the cannisters not running for any length of time. You will have too much bacterial die off of your filter media. As long as the temp of the water is suitable and dechlorinated it should be all right. Just feed lightly for the first couple of days and watch your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels.

typically
02-20-2008, 08:00 PM
yea i would be getting the canisters that are running on the tank currently. he is going to break the tank down the day i pick it up. that's why i was thinking that that should help cycle the tank pretty quick. i can leave the fish in the tanks they are in for a week or how ever long till i get the tank to the proper parameters.

i've been looking around on the web for a past few hours shhhhhh don't tell my boss :ezpi_wink1: and was thinking about maybe giving the oscar to my LFS and picking up a green texas, Surinamensis Geophagus, and maybe a Rainbow Cichlid or 2.

i really love the way the green texas cichlids look. i did a search but didn't find anyone keeping these on here. from what i've read they get to be about a foot long and are semi aggressive. they say the Surinamensis can be aggressive but again from what i've read it mostly when they spawn.

anyways i'm still up in the air about all of this but would really like to get a green texas. so if anyone has kept these or knows any more about them i would love to hear from someone with first hand experience. thanks and sorry if im confusing anyone as i am confused myself =] 120 is huge compared to my other tanks :)

Hairback357
02-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Well I am not a big Oscar fan so I am all for trading him in and getting the Texas Cichlid. I have a Blue Texas and a Red Texas and they are my favorite fish. My Texas Cichlid has pared off and layed eggs today with a Pink Convict. Can't wait to see that mix. Anyway maybe look into a Jack Dempsey, Green Terror or a Salvini as some suggestions for tank mates.

Incredulous_Ed
02-21-2008, 08:16 PM
A good dither fish for those larger CA/SA cichlids are australian rainbowfish. They grow large and very colorful.

cabrego
02-23-2008, 04:52 PM
My tank has the following adolescent fish:
2 oscars
Jack Dempsy
Green Terror
Firemouth
Red Texas Cichlid, but he loosk more green/blue with hints of red right now
pleco

By far, the Texas cichlid is the most aggressive fish in the tank, he runs the show. They are all relatively small so nothing to crazy has happened yet. Theres a video in my sig if you wanna see.

typically
02-25-2008, 06:46 PM
ok got the tank yesterday an booooooooooy is it big =] i got the tank up and running last night to keep the bacteria in the in the filter alive. and everything seem to be in good working order. the guy that i bought it off of gave me a butt load of extra stuff including a UV filter that was used for about a week he said, extra parts for the 2 404's, 3 air pumps, fish food, and just a bunch of other stuff.

so i'm going to let the tank run for about a week and then and then put my pleco and cat fish in. i think im going to go over to my lfs and see what they have. i'm pretty set on the green texas, the green terror looks pretty cool too but who knows what i'll have when i get back from the fish store =]

i'll prob take a few pics of the tank tonight when i get home and post them. thanks for the advice guys

typically
02-28-2008, 09:38 PM
the tank

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/typically/120_fish_tank.jpg

I picked up 2 firemouths and a JD yesterday. the convict that is in there was chasing them around for a little while but has calmed down now. Looking to get the green texas and a few clown loaches to keep the bottom clean and i'm done stocking.

Incredulous_Ed
02-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Looks good dude!!!