PDA

View Full Version : No de-chlorinating

hpt84
02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I read this from what I believed is a trustworthy well site.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/index.html

Can anyone confirm this method?

"De-chlorinating: I used to use Jungle ACE or Amquel to de-chlorinate my tap water (which has chloramine) at water changes. But having heard from the plant gurus at APD, I decided to stop and just use plain tap water without de-chlorination. It's been working fine for over two years. I believe that you can replace up to 1/5 of the tank water at a time with no de-chlorination. I have noticed that when I went over this ratio, the fish started to show signs of stress (fast swimming, etc.). It could be the chlorine/chloramine concentration or the larger temperature or pH/GH changes that triggered this. Anyway, whenever I do a larger water change, I would add Mardel's MarChlor (sodium thiosulphate, a dechlorinator that does NOT bind ammonia). I leave the free ammonia from the chloramine for the plants to use. (I have not been able to determine if ammonia that is bound by Amquel, for example, is still available to the plants.) The main reason I can do this safely is that because of CO2 injection, I can keep my pH relatively low. At low pH (under 7.5) ammonia exists mostly in the non-toxic form of ammonium (NH4). If you have a high pH and chloramine in your tap water, you MUST use a dechlorinator that also takes care of ammonia. (I have a small tank at work that does not have CO2 injection, with pH of about 8.6, and I have killed fish by doing water changes with sodium thiosulphate only.) By the way, when adding dechlorinator, I always add it directly into the tank, right at the output of the refilling hose. It works fast enough that there is no need for pre-mixing."

Lady Hobbs
02-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Chlorine in the water will kill the bacteria as it flows thru the filters. I don't see that using that method is any safer than just adding a couple caps of dechlorinator and being done with it. Many of the larger towns are now using chloramine instead of chlorine as it last longer and people don't even know what their municipal uses. I just see no benefits from that article, at all.

jbeining75
02-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Hmm... without the dechlorinator your filters are being ravished of the bacteria that support them. I do not agree with that article at all....

sailor
02-20-2008, 04:56 PM
I stick with dechlorinator, why put your fish at risk. For the few pennies it costs per use why wouldn't you? I just like the peace of mind knowing it's in there doing it's job.

Incredulous_Ed
02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Well when doing small water changes (like 10%), Sometimes I dont use dechlorinator, and there have been no signs of stress or anything like that.