PDA

View Full Version : Fiddler Crab tank change

GermanMusician
02-20-2008, 04:29 AM
Hey, here's my new tank setup... I used live sand instead of clay stuff... Basically, I read the package this time......

Before:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/brasstimbre/IMG_0042.jpg

After:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/brasstimbre/IMG_0051.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/brasstimbre/IMG_0053.jpg

karbomb
02-20-2008, 04:34 AM
wow that transformation looks wonderful.
i think this arrangement is much nicer for various reason, the least of which being that water is clear. i love the huge rock in the center of the water and the rocks that create the barrier between water/sand. i think your little fellas should be quite content with their new home. ;)

karbomb
02-20-2008, 04:35 AM
i also like that in the newer pic one of the crabs is hanging out in the middle of the hole in the rock with his claw raised.

squirt_12
02-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Very nice tank.
Looks much better.

May i ask....is that heater on thats just hanging there??? If yes..it shouldn't be on.....2 if it isn't you need to have the tank at around 75F.

Halelorf
02-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Nice looking tank, and the heater should be in the water if i'm not mistaken :D.

GermanMusician
02-21-2008, 03:31 AM
I have the heater on the lowest setting, just to keep the air warmer...because the ambient temp in my room is a little too cool...the temperature gauge on my tank was reading something like 70-72... so far, the heater hasn't caused any problems, but it has warmed the air (and water) inside of the tank... Will it really cause any problems?

Thanks!

Halelorf
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
I think having them heat air isn't good for them, they burn themelves out. Also if it is a glas one, which it looks like it is, they can crack very easy if it fell or a cooler drop of water splashed on it and fry everything in the tank. Personally I would put it in the water but if you haven't had trouble with it then you could probably leave it.

squirt_12
02-21-2008, 09:35 PM
I have the heater on the lowest setting, just to keep the air warmer...because the ambient temp in my room is a little too cool...the temperature gauge on my tank was reading something like 70-72... so far, the heater hasn't caused any problems, but it has warmed the air (and water) inside of the tank... Will it really cause any problems?

Thanks!
thats not good for the heater and that means that the air is dry. The air has to be humid. Meaning you need to get a submersable heater to put in the WATER to keep it around 75-80F. Then the humidity level will rise if you have the back all covered up , which you should to keep humidity and crabs in. So i strongly recommend for you to get a submersable heater for the tank. The heater out of the water is a bad idea. I am not trying to sound mean or anything.

EDIT - do you have a filter in the tank??

GermanMusician
02-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I've got the Fluval 1-plus submersible filter - it's for up to 12 gallons, so it works fine...

I'll take the heater out right away, then. Are underwater heaters expensive? Would your average local pet store (like petsmart) sell them?

Also, I still haven't found a hydrometer that will work in my tank. The only ones I have seen are about 8-10 inches tall... any other suggestions? I've read that the needed marine salt will be about 1 tbsp per gallon, so that's what I have.

squirt_12
02-22-2008, 03:14 AM
ok..i thought that you had a filter but i wanted to ask just to make sure.

Submersables arn't that expensive. I just got a little glass one for $20. The only thing is....you can't set the temperature. it is always at a constant 75F. But it is a good quality heater and it does the job. It works for up to 10g. This (http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/12960.jpg) is what the heater looks like and is what i am using.

Drumachine09
02-22-2008, 03:16 AM
For full blown salt tanks, it takes I think 3.5 Cups per 5 gallon bucket, but I could be wrong. 1tsp per gallon sounds a bit shallow, even for brackish tanks.

squirt_12
02-22-2008, 03:17 AM
For full blown salt tanks, it takes I think 3.5 Cups per 5 gallon bucket, but I could be wrong. 1tsp per gallon sounds a bit shallow, even for brackish tanks.
yeah....thats what i used to be using until i found out that you should have 2-3tsp per gallon.

So i would just up the dosage up salt a little bit.

thanks for pointing that out Drum...i totally didn't see that. lol.

GermanMusician
02-22-2008, 10:38 PM
I've actually got one tablespoon of salt per gallon - which is the same as 3 teaspoons, right?

squirt_12
02-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I've actually got one tablespoon of salt per gallon - which is the same as 3 teaspoons, right?
oh...1 table spoon???? oh...alright then. Your good to go. lol. thumbs2: i must not have read it right....lol.