PDA

View Full Version : How Often do Angelfish Spawn?

supun
02-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Hi angelfish experts,

Could you please tell me how often an angelfish spawns? I have a pair of angelfish in a separate tank, and the female laid eggs just two days ago. I have removed the eggs into a separate tank now.
When will they spawn again?
I beleive they are more than a year old. The male and female are large smokey and green marbles.

Thanks,
Sue

mitcore
02-20-2008, 02:53 AM
they will spawn every 2 weeks, i have a question though why did you remove the eggs
angels are very very good at raising and caring for the eggs and fry
they have a higher rate of surviving if they stay with the parents,
the parents will eat the mould of the eggs

i breed angels all the time

cocoa_pleco
02-20-2008, 02:55 AM
ditto, angels are great parents

supun
02-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Hi Mit,

Actually, I'll tell you what happened. When I came back from work ( about 6pm)I noticed that the female laid more than a thousand eggs on my flower pot in my breeding tank. The eggs were a tan, clear colour. While observing them from a distance, I never saw the male passing over the eggs.

The next morning, I fed them one cube of frozen bloodworm and observed that all the eggs were white. I then went to work, and when I cam back in the evening, almost all the eggs were gone. I then observed the male and female eating (and finishing off) the remaining eggs. I put about 5 of the remaining eggs in a separate tank to see what happens...

I was severely dissapointed and sad.. Mit, please tell me what the white eggs represent.. when looking closely, some of the white eggs had white fur on them.

I have read numerous forums and bulletin boards on this topic:
What colour are fertilized, healthy eggs, 1 day after they have been laid?

Some ppl say clear, some people say white...Mit, please confirm!

Thanks Mit, I bet I will have more questions for you soon enough!! Thanks for your help. I will look forward to 10 days from now..hope she will lay soon!

From Sue (sydney, aussie)

Algenco
02-20-2008, 04:24 AM
the weren't fertilized, thats why they ate them, if you want huge batch's of fry then take the eggs, I have got 800+ babies that way, 150 max parent raised.
When you take the eggs, place a similar pot or slate (whatever the laid on) immediately in the same spot, they will clean it for awhile as if the eggs were still there then give up. Helps to keep them from getting into a big fight over who ate them

Oh, anywhere from 8 days to 3 weeks dependent on temp, conditioning

mitcore
02-20-2008, 04:45 AM
the white eggs are unfertilised eggs, the angels usually eat only the white ones, now that i have said that they will eat the brown coloured eggs as well ( brown being fertilised) te reason they do this is because of a few reasons, the first one is that they are new parents and it takes a few goes to have them realise that the eggs are thiers,
2ndly they see you and everyone who walks past the tank as a threat so the eat the eggs to make sure you cant take them away

to stop the 2nd piont i suggest you cover the tank so they cant see anyone walk past the tank, now while this cover is on you will have to be fairly quick and careful in feeding and cleaning the tank, so not to upset them,
this one has worked very well for me and now i dont even need to cover the tanks the angels are used to me and anyone else now with fry and with eggs
they still get aggressive but they are only protecting the eggs and fry, you will need to be at this for about 2mths worth of spawning and then slowly take the cover off for a short period of time so they get used to movement outside again,
i wouldnt be to upset that they ate the eggs once they have spawned they will keep doing it over and over again, LOL you will be tried of seeing fry and eggs and then have too many to keep, thats where i am at the moment, i have 4 pairs that spawn and then have big batches of fry, my latest batch is 3 days old and still wrigglers ( free swimming tom) and there are about 45 of the little buggers LOL

feel free to pm me and ask anything you like i am more then happy to help you.
let the parents raise the fry they will raise them for 10 weeks before you need to move the fry to a grow out tank,

good luck
hope this helps make things a little clearer for you
:-)

supun
02-20-2008, 05:16 AM
thanks Mit and Algenco

Now I have a few questions to your comments. I would be grateful if you could answer all of them:

-Why didn't the eggs get fertilized? Is there something wrong with my male?
- If I cover the tank, won't I startle them when I open the lid to feed them?
-I really would love to see a batch of fry..maybe I will remove them and put them in a separate tank..I understand that it will take a few goes...but once I get my first batch, I dont mind letting them raise them.

- Now that they ate all of their eggs, shall I leave the pair to spawn again in the tank? I have the temp at 30 deg C, pH is acidic, about 6/6.5

-Mit, can you please let me know the exact conditions you have in your angel breeding tanks?
-exactly how often do your pairs spawn?
-How often do you feed your breeding pair, and what do you feed them.
-Is the tank light on or off. What is best?

Thanks again 4 ur help,
Su

mitcore
02-20-2008, 05:33 AM
thanks Mit.

Now I have a few questions to your comments. I would be grateful if you could answer all of them:

-Why didn't the eggs get fertilized? Is there something wrong with my male?
- If I cover the tank, won't I startle them when I open the lid to feed them?
-I really would love to see a batch of fry..maybe I will remove them and put them in a separate tank..I understand that it will take a few goes...but once I get my first batch, I dont mind letting them raise them.

- Now that they ate all of their eggs, shall I leave the pair to spawn again in the tank? I have the temp at 30 deg C, pH is acidic, about 6/6.5

-Mit, can you please let me know the exact conditions you have in your angel breeding tanks?
-exactly how often do your pairs spawn?
-How often do you feed your breeding pair, and what do you feed them.
-Is the tank light on or off. What is best?

Thanks again 4 ur help,
Su

no worries
i have my angels in their own tanks
the ph stays at 7.0 and the general hardness of the water is at 85 or 5 drops by a hardness testing kit, ( i am in Aust and i need to control my water conditions our water is not good enough just to put in the tank)
my temp stay at 26 degrees cel and i run fans in the tanks in summer only

i have no gravel as this can kill the fry and i have fake plants i cant seem to keep live plants alive in the breeders,
i feed my angels once a day at the same time and let them clean the rest of the tank up after a feed, i have fresh water mussels in the tank as they help with filteration and wont eat the fry i also have mystery snails in they when there are no eggs and it is ok when there are fry to have them in there the parents will just push the snail away, i dont have the snails in there when there are eggs as the eat them but i recommend them because they are fairly good cleaners as well
you wont stratle the angels by feeding them but keep in mind they will attack your hand when you put it in the water and yes it can hurt a fair bit,(the buggers LOL) if you do a water change you should use a very fine air line hose pipe and slowly syphone the water out this may take about 1/2hr but there is minimal risk of sucking out fry,
once the water is out of the tank, i suggest you check the bucket for fry before you throw it out and if there is fry in there suck it in to the pipe and spit it back into the water away from the parents they will kill it if they see you spit the fry next to them ( learnt this the hard way LOL)
when replaceing the water into the tank do it exactly the same way just have the clean water dribble in very slowly and it is best to have the pipe away from where the fry are
you will also need a fry friendly filter, it is just foam circles run off a air line and air pump a fairly cheap system that works well, you will need to feed the fry 3 times a day and do a 10% water change daily to reduce the risk of high nitrate levels, the fry can be feed fry food i stay off the brine shrimp and dont feed my fry it, the fry will also eat crushed flake and any slim the find around the tank

the male isnt lazy as such he just is new at it, with the tank covered he will be able to do his bit better, because he will feel safe
it is best to leave the light on in the first few sucessful spawnings, the parents feel better to know what the fry and/or eggs are doing, they dont see well at night and will stress,
i feed my breeding pairs flake
i have one pair spawn every 1 week and a half and all the rest spawn every 2 weeks and they dont even care that they have fry they just spawn, and then keep looking after the eggs and the fry at the same time, now that said the fry will eat a few eggs but this is the parents fault cause they spit them on to the pipe
if you every see a parent suck in fry dont panic they dont eat them they are just moving them to another spot

hope this helps a bit
feel free to ask more or get me to explain something in this post you dont understand

supun
02-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for this detailed info Mit.

Ok, I will leave the light on and cover the tank so that it will induce the next spawn.
Another qn..how do you change the water for the breeding tank? do you remove 10% of the tank water and then add in tap water?

I thought angels preffered a pH of 6.5 for breeding (slightly acidic) as opposed to pH 7.0, but I guess it worked for you..

- What brand of flake food do you use? I tried feeding them "nutrifin flake food" and they didnt touch it. They only eat bloodworms.

sue

mitcore
02-21-2008, 06:26 AM
my angels breed at a ph of 7.0
and i feed them a breeders blend and funny enough that is what it is called, they love it,dont feed blood worm it so very bad for them to have it in their diet all the time, they can have a few blood worms a week, angels arent meat eaters you will need to train them to eat the flake not the blood worms, my breeding pairs never ever get blood worm,
yes remove 10% tank water and replace with tap water, every day, your pair will get used to you being in the tank, but remember go slowly,
i do the water change as i described up in the last post, use a fine air hose line to slowly suck the water out of the tank and the replace the water the same way through the same hose, when you are replacing the water make sure the hose is away from the fry,
always check the water you have taken out of the tank for fry that may have been sucked up, if they have suck back into the pipe and spit it back into the tank away from the parents, they will kill it if you spit it next to them, LOL learnt this one the hard way

hope this helps
ask more if you have any i am happy to answer it all for you

cheers cathy

angelfishnooob
05-29-2012, 12:27 AM
I have 3 big angels and 1 medium sized angel. 2 of the angels breeded about 2 weeks ago and it was my first time so I paniced and sucked out about half the eggs with a turkey baster and put them in a small 1gal tank and they hatched about 4 days later, everyday I feed them baby brine shrimp about 3-4 times a day since that was what I was told and I left the other half in the tank and by morning they were gone. Now they are breeding again 2 week later but in a different spot and they 2 big angels are attacking the other big angel that is doing his own thing on the other side of the tank but they wont attack the little one unless he gets super close to the angelfish eggs. Should I take those angels out from the 35gal hexgon take they are in now and move them to my 29gal tank and let those continue breeding? Also should I leave the eggs in the tank with the parents or continue what I did with the other eggs? Thanks for reading my post.
-Angelfishnoob

Cliff
05-29-2012, 12:29 AM
This thread is well over 2 years old

Please double check the dates before posting, or better yet, you could start your own thread

Lady Hobbs
05-29-2012, 01:13 AM
How about 4 years old? LOL

Closed!