PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf cichlid tank

Lady Hobbs
09-28-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm thinking of turning my 30 gallon into a drawf cichlid tank. Would it be large enough, you think, for how many dwarf's (?) along with my one angel with the attitude?

I have no idea of how to buy cichlids and don't want to get into a huge aggression thing. Ideas welcome.

Lady Hobbs
09-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Are you ignoring me? *hobbs giggles* Answer me.

Glasstapper
12-19-2006, 01:30 AM
I'll be getting a 29 gallon soon and was thinking of making it a dwarf cichlid tank, as well! hee hee!

Let's see..... gotta have the blue rams for sure. then there's the bolivian ram, the cockatoo, the agassizi...so many to choose from!

Here's a link I've been eyeballing to get me started on learning about them:
http://fish.mongabay.com/apistogramma.htm

I do believe the cockatoo and blue ram are my favorites, but I'll need to do some serious research on them before I go out buying any. Good thing I have a few months before I get the tank.

We can help each other out. Anyone here have anything to add to help? Pointers? Tips?

Abbeys_Mom
12-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Don't forget about Kribensis.. They are great little cichlids if you can stand some small amount of aggression if they spawn. I bred them for a while and just moved them to their own 10g when they were ready mate.

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2006, 03:20 AM
I've been confused as to what to do with my next tank I get. First is was a planted tank with rainbows, then it was peacocks, then Labs, then back to peacocks, then back to Labs and now back to planted. May as well not get it since my mind is not settled yet.

I would like to "plant" my 55 I have now but alas.......I have Silver Dollars so that won't work.

jeffs99dime
12-19-2006, 03:58 AM
i have three keyholes hobbs, as you know, and they're awesome. i do have to be careful when i'm vaccuming though because they're so curious. they swim right up to my python siphon and try to go into it. lol

jman
01-13-2007, 02:20 AM
DO IT it is worth it i really am loving mine!

Nautilus291
01-13-2007, 11:11 AM
now your thinking about a dwarf cichlid tank hobbs. You might as well get 10 different tanks and set them up for all of the different things you have thought about putting in this one tank.

kes
01-13-2007, 02:59 PM
I've gone on and on about them but I'll do it again.. Check out the Sajicas! There's something really special about them. At first glance they look like little drab brown cichlids but they are so cool! They puff their little blue gills out and their fins are beautiful. My two are such characters and they've overtaken the Bolivians for my affection (I'm so fickle!). The only downside I caught one redhanded helping himself to a neon but there hasn't been a repeat incident so I've forgiven him for now!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/silverjoineekes/sajica.jpg

jman
01-13-2007, 05:13 PM
they are pretty cool dude i think i'll try building a new tank and design it for the big fish iv'e got and move the other dwarfs into another tank.

jeffs99dime
01-13-2007, 08:56 PM
I've gone on and on about them but I'll do it again.. Check out the Sajicas! There's something really special about them. At first glance they look like little drab brown cichlids but they are so cool! They puff their little blue gills out and their fins are beautiful. My two are such characters and they've overtaken the Bolivians for my affection (I'm so fickle!). The only downside I caught one redhanded helping himself to a neon but there hasn't been a repeat incident so I've forgiven him for now!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/silverjoineekes/sajica.jpg

i just saw some at my lfs!

jman
01-14-2007, 09:40 PM
i just saw some at my lfs!
have you ever seen cockatoo dwarfs at your LFS?

kimmers318
01-15-2007, 02:35 AM
Wish I could help you Hobbs, but I really can't. Had one pair of kribs, they were okay with tetras and a bristlenose (although they bugged him quite a bit at first), my german blue ram that I tried in the same tank didn't work out with ANYONE. The bolivian ram is now in my large tank. After the disappointing foray into smaller cichlids, and seeing how hard it was to come by any of the other species I gave up and am just looking to make room for more puffers now!:18:

jman
01-15-2007, 02:41 AM
awww sorry about the disapointment