PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Gar vid..

Treerat
02-19-2008, 05:14 AM
A short vid of Fred, my spotted pike, in a 29g FW for a few days while i worked on the 75g he's in now. he's quick...

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/Kilo3001/?action=view&current=Fred31Jan08.flv

Bassfan
02-19-2008, 07:27 AM
I believe spotted gars get 44" right?? You would need a huge tank, much larger than a 75g.

Halelorf
02-19-2008, 07:10 PM
wow that is a lightning fast fish! Good luck with the tank change. :thumb:

angelcakes
02-19-2008, 07:15 PM
thats 1 fast fish!!!!:19:

jbeining75
02-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah they get big. Look at this one........

Good luck in that 75 gallon...

goleafs
02-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Have you ever gotten him to eat food other than feeders? I'm trying to get mine on shrimp.

Treerat
02-19-2008, 11:51 PM
I believe spotted gars get 44" right?? You would need a huge tank, much larger than a 75g.
He's the same size as when I got home some 6 months ago. I must have the runt of the litter... umm... pack... err... group... aaahh... batch...
And yeah, he's not one you want to suprize cus he's a skittish, jumping, teeth weilding killer of the minnows. He ate a bug once.

Treerat
02-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Another lucky video of Fred in action. ... I totally can't type. Its Spotted Pike... not "spotter" duuuh

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/Kilo3001/?action=view&current=FredvsGoldfish27Feb08.flv

smaug
02-28-2008, 02:46 AM
Does he ever eat anything you dont want him too?like an angelfish?

YaYgoldFish
02-28-2008, 02:53 AM
You know, keeping this guy with the other fish you have will influence the other fish to "taste" other fish right?

Treerat
02-28-2008, 03:52 AM
Does he ever eat anything you dont want him too?like an angelfish?
No, Fred is a passive aggressive fish. He only goes after fish that are feeder size. I had three Bolivian Rams but they weren't even so much as flippered at by him. The Oscar I had, who was adopted out, ate 2 and a Cuvier's Bichir got the third. Fred cruises the top area of the tank with the Butterfies and they don't bother each other. The Angel fish an odd character in the tank. He swims with each fish as if he is that one. Fred and the Angel have patroled the tank side by side many times with out any drama. Fred has never taken a stab at any other fish. Not the SD's, or the Angel, or the BFC. But add a scoop of various feeders every other day and Fred will take out two or three like he's a samurai swinging a sword and leave the other fish thinking "what just blow by? you feel that breeze? Oh that must have been ol' Fred picking off a guppy like a sniper."

Treerat
02-28-2008, 04:07 AM
You know, keeping this guy with the other fish you have will influence the other fish to "taste" other fish right?
I do not completely understand what you are inferring. The tank is a hazardous, yet beautiful place. Besides the Plecos and SD's all the fish are predators. And non of then are small or large enough to munch on each other... yet. Fred needs the chase, stalk and kill that comes from a live feeder. He stalks minnow different from Goldfish and the same for guppies. Its interesting to watch him swim up to a school of feeders, sizing them up before going for them. Many times, the Reedfish and Cuvier's Bishirs and BBCF flush out the feeders from their hiding spots where Fred is hovering overhead. As if he's coordinated the whole thing. Very clever.

smaug
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
No, Fred is a passive aggressive fish. He only goes after fish that are feeder size. I had three Bolivian Rams but they weren't even so much as flippered at by him. The Oscar I had, who was adopted out, ate 2 and a Cuvier's Bichir got the third. Fred cruises the top area of the tank with the Butterfies and they don't bother each other. The Angel fish an odd character in the tank. He swims with each fish as if he is that one. Fred and the Angel have patroled the tank side by side many times with out any drama. Fred has never taken a stab at any other fish. Not the SD's, or the Angel, or the BFC. But add a scoop of various feeders every other day and Fred will take out two or three like he's a samurai swinging a sword and leave the other fish thinking "what just blow by? you feel that breeze? Oh that must have been ol' Fred picking off a guppy like a sniper."
Thats a cool fish you have there!

Eric James
02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Holy crap! I've never seen them move above cruising speed that is incredible. Someday, someday

YaYgoldFish
02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm saying your spotted gar is showing your other fish that eating live foods are good..Your fish are definitly not all predators. These fish shouldnt be eating feeders:

Angel Fish, Banjo Catfish,Dwarf Flag Cichlid, Feather-Fins, Kuhli Loach, All your plecos, Reed Fish (?), Silver Dollars.

Treerat
02-29-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm saying your spotted gar is showing your other fish that eating live foods are good..Your fish are definitly not all predators. These fish shouldnt be eating feeders:

Angel Fish, Banjo Catfish,Dwarf Flag Cichlid, Feather-Fins, Kuhli Loach, All your plecos, Reed Fish (?), Silver Dollars.

The Angel hasnt eaten fish, but they are known to do so in the wild and in shoals. Bangos havent, save for the one time. The Dwarf Flag is a flake, pellet eater, as is the Feather-Fins and Kuhli Loach. The Reedfish eat chopped up shimps that sink to the botton and sinking pellets. Silver Dollars eat flakes and granules and veggie waffers like the plecos.

Treerat
04-05-2008, 10:53 PM
This is a sad day for all fish and fish keepers across the world. Today, after coming home from seeing a movie and running around, we come home to find Fred, my beloved Spotted Gar, dead. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. Like countless other weekends where I do a 25% water change and monthly charcoal change, where I did nothing different as before, I am at a loss. All the other fish are fine and not showing any signs of stress. I dont know. I condition the water 20 minutes before I add it. I dont know.

Fred will be missed.

hobbit
04-05-2008, 11:09 PM
he will be missed, some of the best pictures treerat has taken have featured fred.
RIP fred
your fish friends and human friends will miss you

sunray
04-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Sad to hear. I guess it was just his time to go.

jbeining75
04-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Sad to hear about fred.... Sorry for the loss....

Ellen4God
04-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Aw!! I'm sorry to hear that. Poor Fred.

garman
04-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Without some salt in the water they can suddenly die of bacterial infections. Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm very attatched to mine.