PDA

View Full Version : Convicts

AquaBANG
02-19-2008, 04:44 AM
I am planning convicts for my 30G. Can I have more than 1 pair. I checked out my LFS, they have .75 inch white convicts. I was able to identity the male and female with the orange belly coloration in the female. Since my tank is still cycling I did not purchase any.

I am planning to buy about 3 pairs (.75 inch) and raise them in my 30G. Can I have more than one pair when the fishes reach adulthood? I have some cover in my tank, couple of flower pots, some rocks and some pvc caves (planned). Please do let me know.

Currently I have a HOB filter rated for max 210G/hr and an internal power filter for 375 G/hr. Will this filteration be adequete?

jbeining75
02-19-2008, 04:49 AM
You could start them in there until they paired but once they paired you'd have to move the other fish.... They are easy to breed but very protective when breeding... The flowerpots should work well. I'd look for the eggs there. I would cycle another 30 gallon if possible to put the others in once a pair is established....

Pr0eve
02-19-2008, 04:51 AM
6 convicts would be the max I would put in a 30. they do get a fair size. I have 5 in a 55G and some times it seem to small. they need space.. if one pair of the convict breed, the rest will be pushed to one side, so space will get tight fast. I have 2 pairs spawning right now
in a 55G.

your filter is plenty. you can never have to much. but your pushing it on having to much lol...

I have a 110 G tank rated HOB and a FB300 on my 55g

toddnbecka
02-19-2008, 04:59 AM
I doubt you'll be able to keep more than one pair of convicts in anything smaller than a 55. The filtration is more than enough, just keep up with the water changes.

AquaBANG
02-19-2008, 04:59 AM
so I guess filtration is good enough, but since these little ones are very very territorial 30G will be good enough only to one breeding pair and *no more*. I understand, is there any other fish I can species that is fit for a 30G and can withstand the convicts?

cocoa_pleco
02-19-2008, 05:03 AM
during breeding pretty much all other fish will be killed

Pr0eve
02-19-2008, 05:06 AM
one pair is best, I would not put any thing else in there, maybe a bristle noise pleco. cichlids tanks need to be big, and the convict will kill every thing else but other cichlids so...no not really any thing else can go in there with them.

jbeining75
02-19-2008, 05:07 AM
so I guess filtration is good enough, but since these little ones are very very territorial 30G will be good enough only to one breeding pair and *no more*. I understand, is there any other fish I can species that is fit for a 30G and can withstand the convicts?

Not when they are mating... In a 30 gallon there is going to be no room to back the others in so they will shread them.....

AquaBANG
02-19-2008, 05:12 AM
alright, so the question is settled. we will go for 3 pairs of juveniles in the 30G till they grow up and form a breeding pair, will move the others out and then the one pair will have the tank for themselves. My LFS assured me that they will take back the other two pairs :)

Pr0eve
02-19-2008, 05:15 AM
My LFS assured me that they will take back the other two pairs :)

really? I cant give mine away. and now I have 50+ babys, lol

AquaBANG
02-19-2008, 05:17 AM
I have a friend who is setting up a 4' tank (I think 55G) for goldfishes (may be in 3-4 months time). may be I will convice him to rethink about making a cichlid tank, with convicts and oscar.

toddnbecka
02-20-2008, 05:58 AM
A 55 is a bit cramped for a fully grown Oscar, and the convict/s will become food when the Oscar grows large enough to swallow them.

Bassfan
02-20-2008, 06:40 AM
the oscar is fine in the 55. And convict cichlids get about 6-7", but the convict could be very aggressive towards the oscar.

AquaBANG
02-20-2008, 06:43 AM
I was just thinking aloud. my friend is crazy about his gold fishes... Most likely the other convicts will go back to the LFS for some store credit.