PDA

View Full Version : Moving my discus fish

SpyderSpy6
02-19-2008, 01:18 AM
I am moving in this week and I'm nervous about moving my discus fish. I just had a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer...

1. I just started to cycle a tank with a brand new filter. If I let it cycle a couple days, and then fill it with the water from my large discus tank, will my discus be ok in the new tank for about 2 days?

2. I had a bacterial infection last week. One of my discus is showing a patch of fungus still. All the other fish are fine, plants are fine, it's just this one discus. I plan to make a hospital tank for him. With only him showing signs of the infection (the fish that did have it have healed) does this mean I have killed it off except on him. The soar seems to be healing. It's peeling off like a scab. Is this infection still present in my entire tank??

Thanks for the help!

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2008, 02:11 AM
Moving the water will not do you much good. The bacteria is in the filter and in the gravel and on surfaces.

The filter will not be seasoned after 2 days. I do urge you to get some Bio-Spira, fill your tank and add your fish either at the same time or the day after. You will get a much faster cycle that way.

Make sure you add as much as recommended. Go over the amount if you must, but not under dose.

Sorry, had to edit AGAIN. Fungus doesn't appear as a sore normally but as a white patch. He may have a bacterial infection rather than a fungus. I would treat only him in a separate tank.

SpyderSpy6
02-19-2008, 02:21 AM
I was thinking about putting some of the filtration rocks from my 75 gallon, inside the filters of my new tanks. Also I will dose it with bio - spira. Will adding some of the media from my established tank make a difference??

Incredulous_Ed
02-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Yeah, It will really speed up the cycle.

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2008, 02:35 AM
Big time. Sprinkle that old gravel on top of the new, not under it and it will help a bunch like Ed says. Also whatever you can add to the filter as far as used media. I always pile the wood from all my tanks into the one I want to cycle in a hurry. That wood holds some grunchie stuff and lots of bacteria.