PDA

View Full Version : Fantail in Trouble!

believeindreamers
09-27-2006, 08:48 PM
I have a fantail goldfish (approximately 5 inches long, though most of that is the tail) that I've had for about six months. I recently moved him from a 10-gal tank to a 20-gal, and after some initial sulking, he seemed thrilled with his new playground. Last night I found him on the bottom of the tank, but he ate like a pig, as always. This morning he was again resting on the bottom of the tank, and has a long red streak starting at the base of his tail. I'm very fond of this fish (his name is Fred) and I don't want to lose him. I saw a picture online that seemed to show the same red streaks in the fish's tail, and the caption claimed that was caused by lack of oxygen. Acting on that, I found a pump and some tubing I had from a previous tank (the current tank isn't set up with an undergravel filter, but one of the whisper variety) and have that pumping in some bubbles, but I don't know what to do.

Lady Hobbs
09-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Check your ammonia and nitrite levels in that new tank. I betcha one or another is too high and both are toxic to fish. Water changes will help this. If you ammonia is too high, even a 50 percent water change can be done.

believeindreamers
09-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the advice. I did a partial water change (about a 1/3). Had to pick up some more stresscoat, and also found some drops that - if they work as claimed - are supposed to drop the ammonia level. Now, about 9 hours after doing so, Fred is still mostly sitting at the bottom, though he does swim about a little more than earlier today. I will get some test strips tomorrow; what are proper levels for ammonia and nitrite? Also, what are his chances? I don't want to get my hopes up.

William
09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
O or close to 0

Severus
09-28-2006, 08:40 PM
I will get some test strips tomorrow; what are proper levels for ammonia and nitrite? want to get my hopes up.

I would suggest getting a liquid test kit instead of the strips. It is much more accurate. As far as the correct water parameters go. They should be something similar to this:

Temp - 72 - 82 degrees F
pH - 6.5 - 7.5 Roughly ( this can depend on type of fish)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - <50 ppm

Lady Hobbs
09-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Gosh yes. Get the master test kits. They run about $14 unless some shop tries to swindle you out of $44, which I've seen. The strips are nothing and tell you nothing other than you have ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. They don't give a proper reading and you can't tell if you're at a dangerous level. However, any ammonia is a dangerous level in my humble opinion.

I also wouldn't use the ammonia blockers. It's easier and cheaper to just do water changes. These levels will all taper off when you tank is fully cycled.