PDA

View Full Version : Potted or into the substrate.

sailor
02-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Good morning all, seeing all the beautifull planted tanks on here makes me want to add more plants to my 55 gal. When you buy plants that are in those little pots, do you plant them in the pots or do you take them out and plant right into the substrate. What are the pros and cons to each way.

Thanks

Sailor

Rue
02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I've done it everyway. Frankly, I've had the best luck just leaving them in the pots they came in...however, that is NOT recommended!

Fishalicious
02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Should be planted without pots....

The roots need to grow and take root in the substrate and don't have enough room in the pot...
The plants are usually kept in place in the pots with a kind of fine steel wool which will slowly start to dissolve and float around the tank and can seriously choke your fish if they nibble on it.

sailor
02-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Ok thanks for the replies. No pots it is.

fins_n_fur
02-18-2008, 04:23 PM
As said, no pots, but if you are new to pots, don't freak if the tuber type plants don't have roots when you take them out of the pots...I pulled my first plants of the pot and the squidgy stuff (like soil) thinking I had ripped the roots off, at first. :laugh1blue: After some research, I realised they are just clipped from the mother plant and then potted.

Incredulous_Ed
02-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I dont use the pots.