PDA

View Full Version : Clown Loaches won't come out!

kaileybum
02-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone, we've had 2 clown loaches for about a year now and they've grown quite a bit in that time. Pretty soon after we got them, they started to hide inside an ornamental house that we had in the tank. It was fine, until now they hardly ever come out and they're getting so big now that we're afraid they'll get stuck inside. We've bought a replacement ornament for them, with a bigger opening, but how do we lure them out of the old house?? They tend to both come out in the morning, but this morning, only one of them came out.

Also, is there any chance they've got eggs or a nest inside? I don't want to destroy that if there is. I don't know how they bear young. Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
02-18-2008, 11:19 AM
The chance of them getting stuck in there is very real. I've had it happen. I had one of these fake looking log things and it had openings that went way down into the legs of the thing. One of my loaches got down in there and I had a heck of a time getting him out.

Pick the decoration up and shake them out of there and remove it. Believe me, I had to shake the heck out of it too. I bet he had a headache for a year after he fell out.

Loaches are night dwellers but mine are out all day and take their nap against the front of the glass. Lots of wood and a pvc cave for them but they like it out in the open.

Loaches get very large, you know?

angelcakes
02-18-2008, 11:25 AM
i have clowns myself all different sizes,when there small they seem to be more active during the day but has they grow bigger they do tend to hide more and are less active and you are correct that they can get stuck in ornaments(ive had first hand experience) and youve done the right thing with getting another ornament with bigger opening hole,normally when they get big they come out more at night,so this maybe why your are not seeing them,you can try enticing them out during the day with a big wedge of cucumber and place a spoon down the middle of the cucumber to keep it routed to the bottom of the tank,i learnt that one on here! or could try adding some bloodworm not freeze dried,actual frozen,they smell that and there normally out like a shot!!! thumbs2: thumbs2: lets me know how you get on with them ideas,

Lady Hobbs
02-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Good suggestions angelcakes. Turning your lights off will help, too.

angelcakes
02-18-2008, 03:55 PM
the biggest clown loach i had was 7 inches long and quite wide,he currently died not sure what of but no other fish was affected,i now currently have 7 clowns in my community tank which a few other small species of fish,biggest is 4 inches long(clowns) only biggest fish in that tank is dwarf giraffe catfish,3 inches long and wont grow anymore,my aim now is a bigger fish tank but ive got to save the ££££$$$$$, i think everyone has different experiences with clowns,
but lady hobbs is correct try turning youre lights off a bit more,i have mine on a timer switch and they get used to it normally about 1/2 before lights go out my clowns come out,thumbs2: thumbs2:

kaileybum
02-19-2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks everyone. They both came out this morning, after my bf put a load of food in the tank. We've replaced the ornament now, but when I left this morning, they still hadn't figured out the new one yet and were both swimming around outside.

And yes, I do realise they can grow to be HUGE, but the shops didn't tell us that when we bought them. We'll have to figure that out when we get there!

bluekrissyspikes
02-21-2008, 07:06 PM
good luck with your loaches. when it's time to upgrade keep checking for used tanks, you'll save a bundle. i gave my 2 large clowns some babies for x-mas and they come out a lot more now. take care

aquarius56
02-23-2008, 12:32 AM
good luck with your loaches. when it's time to upgrade keep checking for used tanks, you'll save a bundle. i gave my 2 large clowns some babies for x-mas and they come out a lot more now. take care
I was reading your post and I was a bit confused by what you meant by giving your Clown Loaches some "babies"...Would you enlighten me please...:ezpi_wink1: Thanks...

aquarius56
02-23-2008, 12:34 AM
I was reading your post and I was a bit confused by what you meant by giving your Clown Loaches some "babies"...Would you enlighten me please...:ezpi_wink1: Thanks...
Ohhhh....I get it...new baby Clowns...lol...duh...

goleafs
02-23-2008, 12:34 AM
And yes, I do realise they can grow to be HUGE, but the shops didn't tell us that when we bought them. We'll have to figure that out when we get there!

I've seen clown loaches for sale labelled as X-Large at 4" long....

kaileybum
02-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Now we've bought 2 new ornaments for them, but I guess they liked the house, which was a really tight fit for both of them. Cos they're out all the time now and don't really like hiding anymore!

angelcakes
02-25-2008, 10:00 AM
now that is good to hear!!thumbs2: thumbs2:

Colin
02-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Positive result, yehhh thumbs2: