PDA

View Full Version : new to tropical fish

Nicole Sommers
09-27-2006, 10:16 AM
hello to the aquatic community,my name is nicole sommers from the land down under.I live in Sydney with my husband,two dogs and my goldfish.
I would like to learn more about tropical fish and there habitat,I am 46 yrs of age and work in the hospitality industry.
I have had goldfish all my life,my tank was made by my husband,it is 5'by2' I have 2 veiltails and three cat fish,can I put tropical fish in the same tank as my goldfish.

yours scincerely

Nicole Sommers::

kimmers318
09-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Welcome to AC Nicole! You are sure to have fun, meet great new friends, and learn loads about fishkeeping.
Sounds like a nice tank hubby built for you :)
As for putting tropicals in with goldfish.....I don't believe it is generally recommended because of the fact that goldfish are "cold water" and tropicals need warmer temps. Someone who knows more about goldfish might be able to steer you in the right direction though if there are some tropicals that are okay with cooler temps.

Tornado
09-27-2006, 01:07 PM
As kimmers said, it is always discouraged mixing goldfish with tropical fish. They require different water conditions generally. Goldfish like colder water temperatures. Cold water holds more dissolved oxygen than warmer water.

Goldfish are a very "dirty" fish, they excert A LOT of ammonia into the water. A lot of tropical fish species can not tolerate the amount of ammonia released by goldfish. You also need really good filtration if you have a lot of goldfish, and your water changes are important, to keep the water suitable. I personally do not recommend keeping ANY fish with goldfish, aside from other goldfish. If the temperature differences dont rule out most tropical fish, then the poor water conditions goldfish create, with the high ammonia output level will.

I will also add that this is one reason I have always never cared for goldfish personally. I dont even acknowledge them when I look in a fish store. Yea I'm mean, Ive just never had a thing for goldfish.

Lady Hobbs
09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Welcome to AC community forums. This is the coolest forum around so hope you enjoy your visits here.

I would not personally put tropicals with gold fish for reasons already mentioned. Tropicals will not do well in cooler water needed for goldfish and the other way around.

Severus
09-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Welcome to AC. +1 kimmers

William
09-27-2006, 04:43 PM
welcome to AC!

gwenkat
10-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Welcome to AC.

kimmers318
10-03-2006, 03:01 AM
Thanks 100gw