PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tank setups...

SpyderSpy6
02-17-2008, 11:53 PM
I will be moving this week in to a place that will be set up with breeding tanks, and hospital tanks for my fish. For those who have followed a long, I have had many issues and think a hospital tank is going to be good.

I will have 2 breeding tanks (20 gallons), 2 hospital tanks (20 & 10 gallons), and possibly one for whatever I find next :o) all will have standard filtration.

Is there anyone that has done this before? What were some of the pitfalls you ran in to, and if you could do it again how would you set it up? It will be a few tanks on heavy duty wire shelves.

What hang on back filter should I use for breeding discus???

Any recommendations are welcomed!

Dave66
02-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Spy,
You'll need sponge filters in your breeding tanks and canisters in the others. Discus don't like the turbulence and noise of a HOB waterfall type, and you'll need the sponge filters because the fry wouldn't be able to overcome the pull of a power filter inflow.

Dave

SpyderSpy6
02-18-2008, 04:24 AM
Would the Aqua Clear brand qualify as a sponge filter? They have the option of three stages, or do I need a full canister type filter for the breeding tanks?

Fishguy2727
02-18-2008, 02:05 PM
No, a sponge filter is completely different. It is an air-powered internal filter that is literally a sponge with a tube in the middle, which is where the air stone is. The bubbles coming up cause a current that will pull the water through the sponge. Sponges are very good biological and descent mechanical.

You can use HOBs or canisters on the other tanks. My 40breeder has my discus and currently has a Fluval 304, a Whisper 60, and an AquaClear 110. They are not as sensitive to high flow, noise, etc. as many make them out to be. The pair of discus have laid a number of batches of eggs but are still in the stage where they eat them. When I get them in their breeding tank they will have just a sponge filter. The discus tank at work is a 20high with a Whisper 60, so even the little ones are fine with it.

You should not have too many issues except rather than one larger water change you will have a number of smaller ones.

Are they already paired off?

SpyderSpy6
02-18-2008, 04:44 PM
My discus have paired. In fact, I have a pair that has guarded their eggs for a week now in my community tank. Thank you for your help! I will pick up the sponge filters!

Fishguy2727
02-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Lustar Hydro Sponges are really good. Eheim has some too.