PDA

View Full Version : What is pearling?

Robin12265
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
So, it's good - I've figured out that much. And that it is when you have bubbles on the plants.

My corkscrew Val has bubbles on it - is that pearling? (I just got it yesterday) Or is it just bubbles caught on it from setting up the new tank?

My tank is still clearing up and I can't see the plants in the back quite yet - only the val that came lose and I stuck in the front just so it would't be floating around until I could see where I wanted to put it.

RE: the haze - I did test my water this morning and it looks really good already (0 nitrites 5 nitrate less than .25 ammonia) so I'm assuming it's just sediment floating around. (those ARE good levels for a new tank, right? Eco-complete substrate in a tank -- vals are the only plants right now and no fish yet)

smaug
02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
So, it's good - I've figured out that much. And that it is when you have bubbles on the plants.

My corkscrew Val has bubbles on it - is that pearling? (I just got it yesterday) Or is it just bubbles caught on it from setting up the new tank?

My tank is still clearing up and I can't see the plants in the back quite yet - only the val that came lose and I stuck in the front just so it would't be floating around until I could see where I wanted to put it.

RE: the haze - I did test my water this morning and it looks really good already (0 nitrites 5 nitrate less than .25 ammonia) so I'm assuming it's just sediment floating around. (those ARE good levels for a new tank, right? Eco-complete substrate in a tank -- vals are the only plants right now and no fish yet)
Pearling is when your plants are receiving enough light and co2 to actually produce lots of o2,that is not what is happening at the moment in your tank.It is just air bubbles trapped from setting it up and is very common.
As for the debris, that will settle after up to a week.The water parameters you have are so far so good but you just set it up correct?It will change over the period of the next few weeks.As your ammo rises it will give food for the nitrites then the ammo will subside and nitrates will rise ,that is when you will know that your cycle is going well.I have never done a fishless cycle so I do not know how to go about getting ammo to your tank to start this all off but there are many here who are experts at it.Good luck and congrats!

Robin12265
02-17-2008, 08:45 PM
smaug - thanks for the comments.
I will be adding fish within the week. I just wanted to see exactly how much substrate I have in there! LOL It looks like I may need to get one more bag and that will make a giant cloud AGAIN. <sigh>
(the store only had 1 bag so I got it and figured I'd call around to find a second one.)

I didn't think it was pearling yet, but since I wasn't clear on what pearling actually was, I figured I'd ask! :ezpi_wink1:

RE the tank - it's an old tank that I just traded out for the bowfront. It still had a bit of water and gravel in it, so it wasn't a completly new tank. There was some beneficial bacteria left in there, I assume.

smaug
02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
smaug - thanks for the comments.
I will be adding fish within the week. I just wanted to see exactly how much substrate I have in there! LOL It looks like I may need to get one more bag and that will make a giant cloud AGAIN. <sigh>
(the store only had 1 bag so I got it and figured I'd call around to find a second one.)

I didn't think it was pearling yet, but since I wasn't clear on what pearling actually was, I figured I'd ask! :ezpi_wink1:

RE the tank - it's an old tank that I just traded out for the bowfront. It still had a bit of water and gravel in it, so it wasn't a completly new tank. There was some beneficial bacteria left in there, I assume.
How many lbs was 1 bag?I only have 15lbs in my 58gal,though it is mixed with fine gravel.

Robin12265
02-17-2008, 11:36 PM
How many lbs was 1 bag?I only have 15lbs in my 58gal,though it is mixed with fine gravel.

It's a 20 lb bag. It made about 1 1/2 inch cover on the bottom of the aquarium. It's not above the trim and the trim is 1 3/4 inch tall.

I suppose the red would look ok if it was peeking out with a neutural gravel like I've always used. (what I have in the bowfront now)