PDA

View Full Version : Midas Question

kylevl
02-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Hello, I am recently new to the site and have a question about the health of my midas. I made the rookie mistake of not reading about cycling my tank before adding any fish so clearly that is the root of my problem. I am now starting to do daily water changes and tests to assist the cycling process. My midas is starting to get black spots on his fins and part of his body, but he is still very active. Does anyone know what my problem is and if/how I can fix it?

gm72
02-17-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure what that is, but welcome aboard.

If you are able to post a picture you will greatly assist people who will be able to help.

Ocellatus
02-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi and welcome to the AC!

When the water quality gets better, black spots will be disappeared. It happens to midas, red devil, BPs, some hybrids, ... when they are moved to a new tank or the water goes bad or stressful conditions. don't worry about them, it will be ok.
main problem here is the cycle, you should have read about it before starting ... but now just try to keep the water better with more water changes till it gets cycled.

jbeining75
02-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Welcome to AC and hopefully you get everything under control. If you have any pics could you post them so we can try to help you out.. Good luck and keep up the water changes to keep the toxic levels down...

kylevl
02-18-2008, 03:14 AM
thanks for the input the midas is starting to look a lot better, and the tank has cleared up considerably

kylevl
02-18-2008, 09:48 PM
I have been thinking about eventually adding some live plants to my tank, should i wait until the tank has completely cycled or will the plants assist in this process??

Thanks

Ocellatus
02-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Live plants are useful to reduce the nitrAtes level ( which is the final product of the useful bacteria ), in the cycle we are waiting for amonnia and nitrItes to get removed, so plants have not much part in the cycle.

BTW, plant won't work with a fish like midas. it will ruin and uproot them all.

kylevl
02-20-2008, 01:10 AM
thanks blu-ray