PDA

View Full Version : science project

adamfishman
09-27-2006, 01:43 AM
Hello, I am actually posting for Adam-I'm his mom. Adam is 12 and in the 7th grade. He decided to do his science project on which fish food would be best. So although we have two freshwater tanks with fish in them, we decided the best way to have a fairly controlled experiment is to start new with two Bettas in identical small tanks (24 ounce) so that he can keep everything the same while varying the feed (one Betta will get Betta food, the other just tropical fish food. We started on Saturday.

Abdul Hamid Ahmad
09-27-2006, 01:53 AM
Wow! I suggest, after he finishes the first round and get enough data for the round, swap the food- see if the results would be the same. I never tested my fish preferences - they just take anything (mine are giant gouramies).

NorthernBoy
09-27-2006, 04:52 AM
Not to be a pooper but you should have bigger tanks. You may not get accurate results when the fish are stressed. I suggest at minimum a 2.5 gallon tank. You can get one for like 25 dollars. I know it seems like alot for a school project but 24 oz. is way to small! To make a comparison.....

Imagine that the experiment is about what brand of delivery pizza a child likes best. Then you lock them in a small dog kennel and jam the pizza under the door. Remember you cannot let the child out to exercise either because he has to stay in the little teenie kennel.:( lol. Now if you don't clean the childs kennel enough it would be full of rotten pizza and feces right! Would you do that to a child? I don't think so.

Not trying to be rude and sorry if it came of that way. Just trying to help :)

Tornado
09-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I 2nd northernboy, I hate to see betta's crammed in such small tanks. A lot of betta's die very prematurely because of this reason.

Aside from that, I think a betta's most prefered diet will always be Live food. They love Small Minnows, and frozen blood worms.

Lady Hobbs
09-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Buying a 10 gallon tank and adding a divider would work, as well.